Your MBP and rMBP temps.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CitrusPisser, Apr 20, 2013.

1. CitrusPisser macrumors member

Hi all,

interested in temps while doing low intensity work such as general web browsing and videos, compared to high intensity gaming/graphic work, as there seems to be wild variations from laptop to laptop, especially with the retinas.

2012 MBP, 2.6GHz, 4gig RAM, 1gb GT650m graphics card and Intel 4000.

Less than one month old.

Low intensity: Youtube/streaming

GP Chip: 35-40c
    GP Diode 35-45c
    CPU Heatsink: 30-35c

High Intensity: Starcraft 2 and Portal 2 tested, near max settings

GP chip: 50-60c
    GP diode:60-80c
    CPU Heatsink: 40-60c

To me these seem to be fairly low numbers in lower and higher intensity situations compared to what I've been reading here and on other forums.

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

This marks the first time I have ever seen someone worried that their temperatures are too low. This is for you:

[​IMG]

3. CitrusPisser thread starter macrumors member

lol, thanks for the trophy dude, but i didnt say i was worried, i said i was interested in seeing other peoples temps to get a more definitive idea of the variation from machine to machine.

4. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

5. Doward macrumors 6502a

Idle: 26C

Light load (web browsing, etc): 43C

Gaming (StarCraft II for hours): 78C

Heavy (1080p encoding over all cores): Spikes to 94C, comes down to about 85C.

Specs:
    2011 17" MBP (Late 2011) / 1GB AMD 6770 / 2.5Ghz BTO Quad i7 / 8GB Ram

Maybe Apple's finally getting around to fixing their heatsink/compound issues ;)

6. jNSK macrumors newbie

Lol. When gaming (Guild Wars 2 - mostly low, some medium settings), my CPU temperature gets to 100C!

7. Queen6, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

You need to mention what SW you are using to monitor temp, as not all apps are equal, many are still not upgraded for the latest CPU`s, or the results will be skewed by 10C or more...

8. CitrusPisser, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

CitrusPisser thread starter macrumors member

Using the latest version of Temperature monitor for these readings.

Edit: Since I've started using UltraFan the CPU temp doesnt seem to get above about 65 in high intensity tasks. The fans don't seem to be running above 4000rpm either.

9. CitrusPisser thread starter macrumors member

is that with the fans pumping too? What model do you have?

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Bresink`s Temperature Monitor is updated for IVB. UltraFan is absolutely the best App to keep you in control of your Mac`s temperature. There is a lot of posts regarding MBP temp right now on the forum, some are justified and potentially do have hardware issues. The crux of it is this is how Apple have designed the systems to run sacrificing cooling for a quiet user experience, it`s aways been this way. Once you use UltraFan you wont go back, it offers PC temps on a Mac with their reduced form factor and little noise intrusion.

The magic of UltraFan is that it prevents thermal saturation, unless you are continuously running at 800%. Apple`s solution is very much reactive, UltraFan is the complete opposite proactively cooling the computer. Now you can see for yourself :cool:

FWIW: I have no affiliation with UltraFan other than being thankful for the Dev`s hard work, it`s free and available here on MR :D

11. CitrusPisser thread starter macrumors member

It Definitely does a good job, the fans are SO much quieter than on my 2007 MBP anyway, so the volume of them ramped up is a non-issue for me :D

12. abc123 macrumors 6502

My 2012 rmbp runs much cooler than my '07 mbp but the fans are much louder (when on high which is less often).

I'm happy with it.