Your MBP breaks w/optibay mod - what do you do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laser71, Feb 25, 2011.

1. laser71 macrumors regular

Just a hypothetical - if you do the optibay mod and have a SSH in the the superdrive slot and a HDD in the regular slot, and for some reason your computer needs servicing - what do you do?

If you would put everything back together: would you do it because Apple may have an issue with it, or simply to ensure your expensive drives are not lost?

In my case if I put everything back I would have the SSD alone, which I'm sure would not boot properly given it's new SATA location and missing HDD friend.

Just curious, if there is anything I should take into consideration beforehand.

2. darwin022 macrumors regular

Your optimal config would be to put the SSD (boot obviously) in the stock hard drive slot and then move the hard drive to the optical bay slot. With that, just pull out the optical bay mount+ drive as one piece, blow the dust off of the thuperdrive, reinstall it if it ever needs service.

3. TheHoff macrumors 6502

If you turn it in for service you should be OK with it coming back blank and re-installed. I'm pretty sure that is part of the agreement when you turn it in. And since that is the case, I'd get it back to the stock config.

4. hoxley macrumors regular

i considered an optibay mod, as i find external harddisks annoying and there is the advantage of getting onto the sata bus (wether it is 3gps or 6gps), but the reality of a usb driven superdrive is just not attracted with multi disk installations.

thunderbolt makes it a difference, both ways. externals on thunderbird will be great, as would a superdrive.

the hassle of putting everything back for warrenty issues would be a pain, and their is the slight ethical issue - as technically it does invalidate.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What I do (Currently have SSD in HDD bay and 500GB HDD in Optibay) is take out the Optibay, put back in the SuperDrive and then replace the SSD with the original HDD. That way if they decide to replace the computer/repair it I don't lose the SSD/upgraded HDD or Optibay. Better safe than sorry IMO. (I always put on a fresh install of the OS before sending it in to AppleCare as well, as that's one of the first questions you'll get asked.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...not to mention, who wants someone looking at your PII info you may have forgotten to get off your mac before sending it in for service...

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Totally disagree, by doing as you suggest you lose the sudden motion sensor capability on the HDD. (SMS does not function on the superdrive sata connection)

If possible, keep an inexpensive 2.5" sata drive with just a basic OSX install on it and fit that back into the HDD bay, swap your superdrive back in and you`re good to go.

In other words, iBookG4user is totally on the money.

8. laser71 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that is what I was wondering I should do. Although in my case the SSD is the original drive.

So even though the computer clearly won't boot properly with everything moved back into the original configuration, I should be fine?

I was toying with the idea of getting a super cheap 2.5" drive, formatting it for OSX and keeping for if I ever sent the computer in. But that's probably overkill?