Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Hi, Im looking to get a iPhone since my contract with Verizon ends in August. Its only my line since Im on a family plan so I would have to get my own service and was wondering does anyone have the basic service? I would get the $40 voice plan, $15 data, and $5 texting so thats $60 but after taxes does anyone know how much that is? My dad would also get 25% off the plan for working at the post office so does anyone know if that is before or after the taxes? Thanks!

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Hi, Im looking to get a iPhone since my contract with Verizon ends in August. Its only my line since Im on a family plan so I would have to get my own service and was wondering does anyone have the basic service? I would get the $40 voice plan, $15 data, and $5 texting so thats $60 but after taxes does anyone know how much that is? My dad would also get 25% off the plan for working at the post office so does anyone know if that is before or after the taxes? Thanks!

Depends how much taxes are in your area....

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca

The USPS discount is applied before taxes. Any discount/coupon/offer always marks off the retail price, but not taxes unless stated. I honestly do not know if you will be able to manage going with the $15 data plan. Just using my email service alone I use up about 150MB's of data a month.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits

I have the 39.99 plan
30.00 unlmt data
5.00 text
I have a 14% fan discount
Taxes are 6% in my state.

My bill is 72.40 every month. Discount basically washes the taxes - an extra 3.00 or so.

FWIW

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
The USPS discount is applied before taxes. Any discount/coupon/offer always marks off the retail price, but not taxes unless stated. I honestly do not know if you will be able to manage going with the $15 data plan. Just using my email service alone I use up about 150MB's of data a month.

How often do you use your email? The most I ever use my phone for is checking ebay, engadget and macrumors once a day while in school. Do you think this would go over the limit?

I have the 39.99 plan
30.00 unlmt data
5.00 text
I have a 14% fan discount
Taxes are 6% in my state.

My bill is 72.40 every month. Discount basically washes the taxes - an extra 3.00 or so.

FWIW

Are taxes only sales tax? Like %7 in NJ.

djgulia

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
How often do you use your email? The most I ever use my phone for is checking ebay, engadget and macrumors once a day while in school. Do you think this would go over the limit?

I live in Jersey and have the same plan as Tigres.

$39.99 voice
$30 unlimited data
$5 text
15% corporate discount through work
7% sales tax
runs $73 and change per month.

I use email and safari a lot and my data usage runs 400-500mb per month. I suggest starting off with the 2GB data plan for a few months and see how your usage is. if you consistently fall below 250mb, then change the data plan.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
2 iPhones with unlimited data, 1 regular phone, 1 air card runs me roughly $200/mo

All phones are on a family plan with unlimited SMS/MMS. Aircard is the standard 5gb plan.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca

I check my email about 3-4 times a day, and that's about all I do with it. With my iPhone I used up about 800MB's a month.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
$150 give or take a few a month for two iPhone 4s with 2GB of Data, unlimited text, and a pool of 700 minutes. Of course rollover and nights weekends blah blah blah.

I will say this much, I am really thankful that AT&T does rollover minutes.

pawo

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
$35

- $10 for a line on my dads business plan (theres a ton of minutes available but I barley use em', unlimited texting)
- $25 for 2gb/month data plan

:)

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
2 Lines

Family Plan 550, nights + weekends ATT mobile to mobile (currently 1400 roll over minutes)

1 iPhone unlimited data package
unlimited text on the iPhone.

1 "regular" phone that is my uncles car for emergencies

15% Student FAN

$110 a month

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.