Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Anything close to or resembling Comic sans, such as Chalkboard.

Any "fun" font for that matter.

Brundlefly

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Apple Hobo said:
font.jpg

There are plenty of garbage fonts, but Helvetica is what came to mind first. ;)

Helvetica is the savior, the semibolds and Neue versions are the bomb!

rick6502

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
The problem isn't the fonts...

The problem isn't the fonts, it's the designers. At the print shop I work at Helvetica and Times are so overused, I beg people to use anything else. This place has been doing type in USA for over 25 years and it shows. Cooper Black is a big font where I work. Ditto on BrushScript. On the other-hand Papyrus rarely shows it's head. I would love to see someone breakout with some Myriad. Meanwhile, our customers bring us documents all the time in ComicSans, so we can hate it here too.

sjshaw

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2004
Brundlefly said:

Not ALL designers! I used to be one. Just the designers without enough creativity or taste to use fonts appropriate for the intended design.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I have no formal training with graphic design, but papyurs is used in everything around where I work, to the point that the "style" has become pure monotony. And it looks kinda lame to begin with.

I actually like Helvetica and Chicago.

Anything with an outline looks awful to me though.

Brundlefly

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Lord Blackadder said:
I have no formal training with graphic design, but papyurs is used in everything around where I work, to the point that the "style" has become pure monotony. And it looks kinda lame to begin with.

I actually like Helvetica and Chicago.

Anything with an outline looks awful to me though.

I have 5 years training in design and 2 years fine art, and 15 years in the industry, and I still get clients that want tacky fonts and weirdness.

my favorite client quote is "My son tells me there is a rainbow filter effect in photoshop, we want that."

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Brundlefly said:
my favorite client quote is "My son tells me there is a rainbow filter effect in photoshop, we want that."

Haha. I think my personal fav was when the company I was working for was hired to do all the marketing, brochures, website, e-mail, newspaper etc, for this condo development and we were told that the clients daughter was to take part in the design. "Oh ok, does she have any experience with graphic or web design?"...I'll let you guess the response.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
This is more of a Windows beef than a Mac one, but I dislike Times New Roman, and there seems to be no way to get rid of it. I've even tried deleting the TTF file. MS Word seems to default to it everywhere and there's no way to change that.

Helvetica's pretty nice, but a little narrow. Century Gothic is my current favorite. For monospace fonts my all-time favorite is one called OCR-B, but nobody seems to have ever heard of it!

edit: I like the look of that Frutiger.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
The second anybody submits any design project that uses this font in any way I automatically tell them I hate it.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 150

pumbaa

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2004
maine
dpaanlka said:
The second anybody submits any design project that uses this font in any way I automatically tell them I hate it.

As in previous replies, it's all what the design/message calls for.
Right now, I'm using Bauhaus for some ESPN/NBA ads I'm working on---go figure...:confused:

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
After G said:
Mistral sucks.
Kidprint too.

But the one I really don't like is Brush Script MT.

I don't mind Brush Script MT provided your trying to make a retro-50's-ish kinda look. I wouldn't try to use it to look fancy or sophisticated which is what I suspect some people would do.

rick6502

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
Designers are people too.

sjshaw said:
Not ALL designers! I used to be one. Just the designers without enough creativity or taste to use fonts appropriate for the intended design.
There are two points to consider:
1. Anyone with a computer is under the impression they are a "designer." They don't understand that buying a knife does not make you a surgeon.
2. Many Print Shops don't want designers. They want someone who can typeset 15 business cards, 10 envelopes, 5 letterheads, 3 auction bills, and some light layout in one afternoon. In other words, a typesetter. They don't always get that, but that's what they want.
With these two situations you get people who either overuse fonts because it's the first one on the font menu, it's what is the default, it's what's on the template, it's what "we've always used.", or "I just like that font."
I have dealt with many designers over the last 10 years, and I do appreciate the skills a fine designer can bring to the table. I should also say that design does not equal printability. Too many designs look beautiful, but are economically unsound, unworkable, or just not created properly.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Does anybody have Din Thin?

Not that I'm asking for it to be sent to me...officially. But if it were to be offered....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.