Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Anyone have this problem where streaming an icloud movie takes forever to start?

My internet connection is very fast (12Mbps or so), and netflix has no issues with HD flicks. Why is it the Atv is so finicky about caching a significant amount of the stream?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Anyone have this problem where streaming an icloud movie takes forever to start?

My internet connection is very fast (12Mbps or so), and netflix has no issues with HD flicks. Why is it the Atv is so finicky about caching a significant amount of the stream?
Mine doesn't do that. Movies always start in seconds. The one time I did have this problem, it turned out my DSL service had a problem and I was not getting the purchased speed (like 1-2 Mbps vs 11). After some rewiring at the hub box, speed returned and movie download start time went back to normal.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

You need to disable the "deliver my movie when the pizza arrives" option! :D Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

It has to be your internet. I have seen it take that long or longer on a bad connection. You may have fast internet but a weak connection.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I don't know about iCloud streaming, but Netflix does have adaptive streaming, so it'll lower the quality of the stream on the fly if there isn't sufficient bandwidth. So, it can probably buffer less, in the knowledge that if there's a problem it'll just drop the quality a bit.

If iCloud streaming isn't adaptive, it would have to be more conservative and buffer more; since if there's insufficient bandwidth the stream would actually stall (very poor user experience).

Obviously it depends on the bitrate of the iCloud movie too. If your connection is 12Mbps, you might be getting less, so it might struggle if streaming 1080p videos (depending on compression, of course).

hbmex

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
Huntington Beach
In had the same problem. Turns out it was my modem. Do a speed check to ensure your are getting the Internet speed you are paying for. My modem was very old. I purchase a new modem and now everything works fine.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
In had the same problem. Turns out it was my modem. Do a speed check to ensure your are getting the Internet speed you are paying for. My modem was very old. I purchase a new modem and now everything works fine.

Speedcheck screams (speedtest.net). The apple tv is gigabit hard-wired all the way to a time capsule.

I think itunes icloud gets throttled, IMHO. youtube does the same thing but netflix does not.

Could this be a QOS setting in time capsule? The house enet screams, no speedtest.net issues anywhere even over wifi.

gdbleb

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
Speedcheck screams (speedtest.net). The apple tv is gigabit hard-wired all the way to a time capsule.

I think itunes icloud gets throttled, IMHO. youtube does the same thing but netflix does not.

Could this be a QOS setting in time capsule? The house enet screams, no speedtest.net issues anywhere even over wifi.

I had the same problems early part of this year (Jan - April) but only on Friday and Saturday evenings.
I have FIOS @ 50 Mbps down so couldn't be that. Rebooted FIOS router to no avail. There were a couple of times I rented the movie from Verizon instead and yes, I thought of ISP throttling, but -
ATV Movie rentals mid-week never had issues so I attributed it to Apple and Apple scaling their servers. You'll never get them to admit that however.
Last thing, I believe the ATV only has a 100 meg Ethernet chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.