Your my last chance ive No signal

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Thebagman, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Thebagman macrumors newbie

Please help me.
    3 years ago My friend lost his iphone 3GS and reported it stolen. He received an iPhone 4 from his insurance and carried on with his life. Some time later I moved in to his house after he moved out and found his phone almost destroyed. After replacing the screen I offered It back to him. he said that I could keep it as he had a new 1 and that his old 1 had been deactivated by o2 ireland and would be useless to me. On iOS 3 I jailbroke and unlocked the phone. I had full use of the phone for almost 18 months using an o2 Ireland sim on an o2 ireland iPhone but with a blocked or deactivated imei. It all worked fine I could make and receive calls and everything else. I upgraded to 4 and it still worked. But then 1 day the signal strength started dropping. I still had credit and the 3G signal was still active and available. From approximately 4.3 up to 5.01 nothing has worked since. For almost 4 months Ive been trying to get it going again. I have no signal strength so after all jailbreak options I could find I decided that the problem mustn't be software but be hardware. So I brought it to an iPhone repair shop. After 3 weeks I went to them and they told me that they had replaced the antenna and modified a burnt out chip on the motherboard and that they could still not find the problem. After checking with o2 they did something strange. When I gave them the phone I was running a tethered os5 jAilbreak fw. But when they gave it back it was 4.1 and un-jailbroken with a 5.16.05 baseband. What can I do I looked at SAM briefly but couldn't really understand the program. I played with it a little bit but didn't do anything. Please help. I'm sure this can be fixed. Thanks in advance
    bags

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Look like O2 gave you back the refurbished phone with 4.1 05.16 baseband. So, you need to do the following;

1. Check with O2 to see if this phone is factory unlocked. If not, can they do that for you?
    2. if O2 won't do the unlock for you, that mean the only option you can unlock this phone is to install Ipad baseband (06.15) on it because Ultrasn0w won't work with 05.16 baseband.

3. Thebagman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply
    As far as o2 are concerned the phone is stolen and should be returned to them for destruction. As I'm not likely to do this am I able to just update the bb with ipad6.15. I've seen some pretty confusing posts about how to do this.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Your post does not make any sense. Here is what I quote from your original post;

"After checking with o2 they did something strange. When I gave them the phone I was running a tethered os5 jAilbreak fw. But when they gave it back it was 4.1 and un-jailbroken with a 5.16.05 baseband."

So, if they think it is stolen, then why did they look at your phone when you dropped it off for them to look at then replace it with another phone.

Some thing fishy here. :confused:

5. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

6. Thebagman thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't give the phone to o2 I brought It to a company in Dublin that fixes iphones. They didn't fix it. Thres no more to the story. It's been deactivated by o2 and I want to re activate it. I've been using it till for almost 3 years without any problems

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Since your phone is now on 4.1, all you need to do is to jailbreak and install ipad baseband with using redsn0w. Once you've done so, it is open for you to use with any sims. However, please note that once you put the ipad baseband onto your phone, there is no way to take it off and your phone GPS will be dead.

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

- OP has been using 3GS for "almost 3 years"
    - iPhone 3GS released July 2009.
    - July 2009 - December 2011 = 2 years, 5 months
    - Also mentioned the friend replaced it with an iPhone 4, released July 2010
    - Friend must have got quite a lot of use out of the 3GS if the 4 was out when he lost it, takes OP's usage time on it down to 1 year, 5 months (at least)

Something doesn't add up here.

9. Thebagman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks crystal rx. I think I can do that.

----------

Ivan p. The details about the time are not important to the problem at hand. So I'm a stoner who's not good with dates. Thanks for making light of that. All I want to do is not have to buy a new phone and get my old one working. Thanks for helping

10. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

He said his "friend" "lost" the 3GS three years ago (2008) which is quite an achievement considering it wasn't released until July 2009.

11. Thebagman thread starter macrumors newbie

Sometimes people can be such dicks. Anyway thanks crystal. Flashed the drive using redsnow and iPad ipsw 3.22. Installed ultrasnow and have a shiney new 6.15 baseband. The loss of gps doesn't really bother me. Although only 1 Irish operators sim will work for now. At least I only need a new number and not a whole new handset.

If anybody has similar issues and needs help I can give you what I learnt and used to get my phone unlocked after two months of having no signal.
    Thanks again