Your netflix experience on ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by DannyNguyener, May 27, 2010.

1. DannyNguyener macrumors regular

DannyNguyener

Is it worth it? I'm thinking of cashing out 8 dollars a month to stream video through the iPad, as I find it more logical than whipping out 4.99 per rental through the iTunes store. How has your experience been, particularly on 3G?

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Love it! Plus you get DVDs thru the mail too for the same price! Oh FYI quality is great IMO.

3. ajones46 macrumors 6502

The app itself is buggy. Typing stuff normally takes 2-3 seconds before it actually shows up and it's choppy scrolling, however videos load pretty quickly. And don't expect to watch any current seasons of any tv series, it's just not available to stream.

4. iPadztr macrumors 6502

Loving it... I'm on my season 9 of south park :D

5. DannyNguyener thread starter macrumors regular

DannyNguyener

The quality and speed are great on 3G as well?

6. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

I was primarily attracted to the streaming feature. I started one movie, which I watched with interruptions, but before even before the first of the two movies I was entitled to in a month had ended I received a message saying my streaming minutes for the month had been exhausted. And this was the second day of the month term.

It wasn't worth exploring further to me so I just terminated my subscription.

The video quality on the iPad however, was superb on wifi, and the streaming selection, albeit limited, was certainly satisfactory. 3G quality wasn't nearly as impressive, but surprisingly good.

The free ABC.com app is a close approximation to what you'd see on Netflix.

7. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

The app itself isn't the most stable and can be a pain to use for anything but actually watching video. Once the video is playing, it's usually great.

That said, I'm happy with the selection most of the time. However, I'm by no means a big TV/movie person.

8. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

The app is buggy and generally sucks, BUT, and this is a big but... The movie streaming freakin' rocks. I used in flight wifi recently and was blown away to see that this app worked.

Absolutely worth the price of admission. Get a coupon code from any Revision 3 show (HD nation) and get a couple of weeks free. Nothing to lose. :D

9. iPadztr macrumors 6502

It's decent on 3G connection and really close to wifi quality when Im in a good 3G zone...

10. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I love how I can start watching something on my xbox 360 with netflix, then pause that. Take the iPad out with me and it'll pick up exactly where I left off to continue watching.

11. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I don't have an iPad yet, but I HIGHLY recommend Netflix. I only get 1 DVD a month and I stream movies and TV shows constantly. It is by far the best subscription based purchase I have ever made. You'd be surprised at how much content is available for streaming.

AND recently, Netflix has started to offer their content in HD. That is such a plus.

12. DannyNguyener thread starter macrumors regular

DannyNguyener

So you get unlimited streams for 8.99 a month? I'm not gonna be renting any physical DVDs, just streaming on the go with my iPad.

13. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I watched several movies on it using wifi and mywi and both were excellent quality.

The iPad is the perfect size for all applications. Netflix for me was perfect. Not once did it crash or did I have issues with it

14. M87 macrumors 65816

The app itself is pretty bad, probably the worst app I use. Don't get me wrong, the videos play just fine but browsing through my queue is a laggy nightmare. I love netflix and I absolutely think it's worth the 9 bucks a month. They really need to fix their app though.

15. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I did the trail subscription and just about every thing that I wanted to stream was unavailable. So I canceled it. YMMV

16. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

How long did you have the trial subscription? After reading your post, I can see it makes sense to check out the available video content, for streaming, first.

17. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Oh maaan! You're having fun now! :)

But yes, I also really enjoy Netflix on my iPad. This thing is great.

18. greemie macrumors member

I have been watching it via WiFi in bed. I like it. I also bought Air Video, just in case I don't feel like watching something on netflix.

19. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Netflix for me is definitely the killer app at the moment. Yeah there are still some bugs, but you can't expect perfection this close to the beginning of the device. I say pay the Netflix fee for the streaming on iPad. Some gestures and actions may still be a bit choppy in the app itself, but it's still worth it.

20. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

Very tempted to go for this at $8.99/month (or £6.25).

As I live in the UK, can anyone confirm for me what payment options Netflix take? Will I need to use a US based credit card? How about PayPal.

Rather than pay $8.99/month, do they do any sort of (discounted) annual membership?

Thanks.

21. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Don't forget that you can hook up your iPad to an HDTV with the Apple Component Cable.

22. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Does Netflix send out Bluray movies or just the traditional DVDs?

23. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

24. wgary macrumors member

Bluray subscription is a little more.

25. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

8.99 gets you 1 physical DVD and unlimited streaming. There's also a free one month trial if you want to check it out before you make the jump.