Your new late 2012 iMac impressions?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jsgraham, Mar 3, 2013.

1. jsgraham macrumors newbie

This is my first post on MacRumors having been a reader of the site for about 4 years I haven't really felt the need to make any posts until now. However I have a few questions.

Putting all the problems that some people claim to have had with their new 27" iMac's my questions relate to your estimations/opinions on how good it is at running games.

I currently own a Mid 2010 17" MBP and love it, no issues whatsoever with it, and I didn't have plans to upgrade so early to a new machine, but since seeing Phil Schiller up on the stage with it months ago I was really impressed with the aesthetics of the machine.

I have only in the last month or so, read some reviews on its specs; I didn't realise it was packing high end i7s, 2GB graphics cards and fast 1600Mhz RAM. I was impressed with the Fusion Drive, but I guess I told myself I could do without this, and would stick with the MBP. Also due to it not being a Retina screen I thought no point upgrading, but then I released do you really need Retina on it? As its already 2560 x 1440 and you sit a few feet from it, so its a brilliant screen anyway. Retina would probably make it lag with current graphics cards, or make so much processing power/gpu power be reserved for Retina, limiting what the non-retina could really do with today's specs.

So now I arrive at the questions, do you guys reckon a top spec machine with the 2GB GTX 680MX, 8GB RAM (I'll upgrade it eventually to 32GB with 3rd party RAM) be able to run top end games etc, and older titles like Flight Simulator X on Ultra High without the system running hot? I'm basing this on a 2010 spec MBP running at one point over 80C with FSX on ultra high. I would assume as its an iMac cooling is a lot better than a 3yr old MBP, its a bigger device etc, cooling could be easier, and its 3 years newer etc.

I love Apple and all the products I've owned have done me well, I used to have a cheap and ugly looking PC to run certain Windows game, but if the iMac can do everything I want without stressing itself out such as that example, I would be completely sold on it.

What do you guys think? Will FSX run on ultra high etc without heating up, Flash running without using a high CPU load, or heating up? The machines are great at multitasking lots of different programs, no Windows PC can do it without slowing down, the Mac I have doesn't slow down, but I don't like thinking am I making it do too much on the CPU load, heat side of things?? It doesn't appear as though its stressing though.

Even running FSX was getting 50FPS locked but it was running @80C at some points etc, so is this an issue to worry about if I saw the same thing on a new iMac?

By comparsion I couldn't play FSX on ultra high on my old Windows laptop, it was like 10fps on ultra high and running at about 65C.

Cheers for any answers guys.

2. Macman45, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Flight Simulation by MS....OP is Bootcamped...I run the OSX alternative X-Plane...the new imac copes very well, but it's the maxed out 3TB Fusion model with 32GB of RAM and the 2GB GPU option.

I'm delighted with it so far.

3. dangerly macrumors regular

I own a 24" iMac (2009) with 8GB ram, my video card has 512 MB memory, have a partition with Windows (made using bootcamp) and play FSX at high specs. Never had problems with the iMac over heating or any other issues.

4. jsgraham thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. Yeah I've had Xplane before and was impressed with it a lot with things like the accurate runway gradients etc. I hope you can use it with multiplayer, maybe someone has got it to connect to VATSIM. I will need to check that out.

In general my MBP runs about 40-50C nowadays, over 60 on 1080p flash videos. Do you guys think that temperatures like that are fine and I'm just being too over cautious?

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No, your fine...I've noticed that Apple's new cooling system for the Imac is way better than what we had before. My 2011 used to heat up quite a bit in CPU intensive work.

This one doesn't even get warm...The fan is audible in heavy lifting, but not loud...X-Plane runs well in high settings, and the overall speed of the machine is superb.

6. Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

Why are you worrying about a desktop turning hot?
    I've been running my new iMac (i5, 2GB, 1TB HDD, 8GB) relatively hard and so far I haven't noticed any heating issues, the fan has always stayed barely audible. I haven't seen the CPU temp increase beyond 50°C. I did one time run the fan on high, and that was very noticeable, so it's not that the fan is inherently quiet.

As for FSX, yeah it'll run everything on ultra high settings no problem.

7. Teut macrumors newbie

I ran games on my 2009 iMac and it was fine, but showed limits on recent games like Guildwars 2 or World of Tanks.

I update dits graphics card to a 2011 Radeon and it was much better (I posted on iFixit how to do it).

Now I own the 27" iMac 2012 with the 680M 2GB card and it runs most games in super high detail, no problems.

In fact it can run multiple games at once like I did here: (note that I run most games in Bootcamp)

[​IMG]

8. jsgraham thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your comments. Yeah like you say don't know why I was worrying, not that I doubt the products just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing them any harm.

Like you say it's probably only warm on the MacBook as its smaller enclosure, iMac is much bigger and better cooling system.

Thanks

9. Hexley macrumors 6502a

My complaint on the 27" are as follows

- no more FW800 while the MBPro, Mac mini and Mac Pro still has them.
    - doesn't use a desktop GPU
    - HDD/SSD are not user upgradeable
    - no 32" 4K LCD

10. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I know Apple's engineers are very clever but I think fitting a 32" 4K screen to a 27" unit might be a bit beyond them.

11. insane79 macrumors 6502

thats nice, do you get any over heating issues when running windows via bootcamp? the slim iMac run better on bootcamp now then before?

Thanks,,