Your next Apple - WHEN, WHAT & WHY?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OldCorpse, Aug 12, 2006.

  1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816


    Dec 7, 2005
    compost heap
    I think it might be helpful if we saw the reasoning behind your next planned purchase of an Apple computer - useful for newbies or really anyone who is contemplating a purchase.

    I'll go first. What I have: last PPC 1.33ghz 12" iBook. What I use it for: video editing, word processing, email & internet, foolin' with music software.

    My iBook is surprisingly up to the tasks I have for it. It runs FCP 4.5 brilliantly (though I don't need to run Motion). I actually have no extreme need for another computer (I also have a 3 year old 15" Dull Inspiron 1100). With an external 21" monitor and several external HDD plus speakers, I'm doing fine.

    WHAT: my next purchase - iMac

    WHY: I don't need portability as much - simply because my iBook is enough, and will be so for at least 2-3 more years... on the road, I do word processing, a bit of work with photo editing, and that's it - for which the iBook is just fine... I don't do video editing on the road. Yet, an iMac would certainly make video editing a lot easier - Mac Pro would be overkill, or more accurately, I don't think the bang for the buck difference between the performance of an iMac FOR MY NEEDS is justified compared to a Mac Pro. Plus, my apartment has a premium on space - so, iMac it is... way powerful enough for my needs, way cheaper than a Mac Pro, more space-friendly + an extra monitor - GREAT for video editing - even better than a Mac Pro.

    WHEN: definitely not this year. My more heavy video work won't ramp up until 2007 at the earliest and prolly 2008 more realistically. So, I'll buy an iMac sometime in the fall of 2007. By then, it will have Leopard, it will be enough time to actually have another point release to fix the first bugs in Leopard. The platform will be more powerful - maybe even Santa Rosa! And the platform will hopefully by then have the revision A bugs worked out, that's why I'm not buying it in the middle of 2007, but sometime in October or so. And by then probably FCS 6 will be out - just in time for my video work. Meanwhile, the iBook will be about 1 1/2 or 1.8 years old - still a fully viable portable solution - so I won't need a MB or MBP. By the time it is time to replace the iBook, the MB or MBP will be a very mature product on the Intel platform (I prolly won't by a portable until 2008 at the earliest).

    How about you? How are you thinking? What's your reasoning for your choices? Let's hear :)
  2. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040


    Mar 24, 2006
    What I have: Mac Mini

    What: My next purchase Macbook or Macbook Pro

    Why: Would love to use one as my laptop I dont mind my Toshiba but I would love one of the two

    When: Next year...I'm not in a hurry (ok id love one now) but I'm waiting for the new chip and Leopard to be standard to save me some money.
  3. xPismo macrumors 6502a


    Nov 21, 2005
    When: Probably early this semester, unless I need to scrounge up more capital.

    What: MBP or keep the powerbook and grab a dual G5 used or Mac Pro.

    Why: Editing, Compositing, etc. The powerbook has been great for my three years of school, but I'm about to graduate and need more processing power for my senior projects.
  4. bigrell486 macrumors 6502


    Jul 10, 2006
    What I have now: iMac G3 600 Mhz (Graphite)

    What: my next purchase will be a Refurbish 1.83Ghz Macbook

    Why: I start college at the end of the month, and I need a new Mac because I refuse to go to school with the Gateway I have now.

    When: As soon as it arrives. I ordered it Friday Night! :D
  5. iMeowbot macrumors G3


    Aug 30, 2003
    When: in the next week or so.

    What: a small handful of mini Duos (2-4)

    Why: fresh victims.
  6. iBookG4user macrumors 604


    Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    My current computer is a 14" iBook G4 1.33GHz and it does all that I need it to do but it does it very slowly. I got this computer in late 2005 because there was a GREAT deal on it and it was brand new so I jumped on that. I use my computer for heavy video encoding, heavy photoshop, iTunes podcast/vidcast library, light gaming, web browsing, word processing and watching videos. I've never had any problems with it but it is just slow and I feel like I need to upgrade.
    My next computer is going to be a MacBook Pro Merom hopefully, maxed out with 2GB RAM and if the hard drive is accesable a 160GB hard drive. I'm upgrading because I feel that taking 45 minutes to encode each file is WAY too long when I have 7 files waiting to be encoded. I'm also upgrading because I want a higher resolution screen because I'm taking 2 photoshop classes this year and using 1024 x 768 is a big pain even when web browsing. I also am selling my gaming rig to help pay for it so I need it for gaming and my current computer can't run windows and doesn't have a decent graphics card. Also because I tend to fill up the 60GB hard drive fairly quickly when encoding video and my external hard drive broke right out of warrenty. And lastly because the MacBook Pro just looks really cool :D. I'm hoping to get it in September (which is after school starts but I don't have the money currently).
  7. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

    Oct 9, 2003
    When: It's ordered, hopefully will arrive in the next few weeks.

    What: A Mac Pro. 2.66ghz, ATI card, etc.

    Why: If you spent a couple years doing FCP on an eMac, you'd be desperate for one too. But seriously, FCP, graphic design, animation, game design, etc. I do a lot of creative projects.

    I'm looking forward to it.
  8. Chrispy macrumors 68020


    Dec 27, 2004
    When - as soon as Merom MacBooks or MacBook Pros come out

    What - Macbook or Macbook Pro (depending on how much money I have at the time)

    Why - I'm using only my work Dell Latitude at the moment
  9. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

    Mar 7, 2005
    Outback Australia
    What I have: 12" 1.5Ghz PowerBook, 2GHZ Black MacBook, G5QUAD

    What next: I think i'm set, an ultraportable MBP would be hard to go pass, or the elusive tablet

    When: If/When they release one and a Rev C one at that

    Why: I don't like my MacBook, its too big, and shuts down randomly
  10. bluetorch18 macrumors regular

    Jul 25, 2006
    What I've got: iMac G5

    Next purchase: Merom MBP
  11. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816


    Dec 7, 2005
    compost heap
    That's me! Bought mine at the end of December 2005 from Amazon, brand new for $785 no tax, free shipping... only mine's a 12".

    Again, pretty much describes my use, except I do heavy vido editing/encoding, but light photoshop, no gaming, the rest the same, plus a bit of Logic.

    Same here... no problems, but no complaints either, I don't feel it is too terribly slow.

    Hmm, now we have big differences... I don't mind encoding, even though mine is sometimes as long as 30 hours (140 minute DV project)! And MB - I just don't get. I already have a Dell 2001 FP 1600 x 1200. I'd rather get an extra screen with an 20" iMac - for editing 2 HUGE screens are great! With MB all you get is one screen... that's smaller than the iMac... hmm... Plus, I have my mobile solution still as my iBook. Plus, iMac will me much more powerful than a MBP, so I'll encode faster than on an MBP. Plus it will have a bigger HDD. Finally, you really should not use your primary internal HDD as a scratch disc for editing - that should ALWAYS be an external HDD.

    I guess different strokes for different folks. Anyhow, interesting!
  12. piltupso macrumors regular

    Apr 29, 2006
    My current computer is a generic 1.6 GHz pentium 4 box which is almost 6 yrs old, so I guess this is my 1st mac though I am tied to a 17" G4 powerbook most of the day at work. My decision was tough I would get along fine with the power of an imac but just couldn't get my mind around buying machine with a built in monitor that I couldn't crack open easily and play with the insides so I went with a Mac Pro (thanks to apple for the education discount). My uses will include everthying a computer at home can be used for as well as some hobby level 3-d computer art (we'll see how far that goes later). Well it came down to buying a little less than I wanted or way more than I needed, so the justification for me was I am hoping all that extra power in the Mac Pro will add some future proofing as I am planning to hang on to this for at least 5 years. Can't wait should be here in a week or so. :D
  13. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

    Jul 30, 2006
    Waiting for the Mac Mini to get overhauled. I really want a 3.5 inch hard drive in that sucker.

    I had an iMac, 20 inch, Intel Core Duo, and I got rid of it because I didn't like the resolution.

    Of course if I could find a better paying job then I would get a Mac Pro with a 30 inch LCD, but that's just an obvious one lol.
  14. Guitar geek macrumors newbie

    May 17, 2006
    New Jersey
    Current machine: No mac currenty (see sig), but using P3 custom desktop

    What: Next purchase will probably be Mac Mini or MacBook and 20" ACD

    When: Whenever mac mini's or macbooks get merom

    Why: I got tired of waiting for an MBP w/ merom, and for the same price, I could get a MB and 20" ACD, or save some money and get a Mac Mini. Bascially, I just need a mac right now. Using this PC for the past few months has been killing me.
  15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604


    Mar 17, 2004
    What I have: Nothing. My Pismo fell off a desk and my mom hogs her PowerBook.

    WHAT: iMac

    WHY: Windows PC is rotted and runs like crap, 120 GB drive is full and I have nowhere to back up to, and I just really feel I need a new computer. And I can't stand to use Windows for another minute. I really feel like I need a new computer, and I want a desktop. I like to sit down.

    However, a new portable to replace the crappy Dell I use (Pentium 3, no disk drive, also Windows rotting, no GPU, <1 hour battery life), since I'll be sitting on the bus 3-4 hours a day when I start going to university in September.

    WHEN: I'm torn. On the one hand, I want to buy it the instant the Core 2 Duo comes out. On the other hand, I want to use the free iPod deal to get a video iPod for $90. The free iPod deal expires on September 16th. If Apple releases a Core 2 Duo iMac before September 16th, I will buy it immediately. If they don't...I'll have to decide whether to wait and miss the iPod deal, or buy the current Core Duo iMac.
  16. solaris macrumors 6502a


    Apr 19, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Have: 15" PowerBook G4. 1.5GHz, 1GB Ram, 100GB 7200rpm, etc.
    Ordered: Mac Pro. 3.0GHz Intel Xeon, 4GB Ram, ATI X1900, 500GB 7200rpm, 30" ACD, etc...

    What: 13.3" MacBook Pro.
    When: The day Apple release one.
    Why: Because I want a more portable Pro machine.
  17. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

    Aug 4, 2005
    What I have: 12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz

    What I want to get: iMac

    Why: I love OS X and would just love to experience it with a more capable machine. Also, I think my iBook still has many years ahead of it and will probably take care of all my on the go needs.

    When: Hopefully sometime next year.
  18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn


    Mar 23, 2005
    What I Have: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Core Duo

    What I want to get: Another iMac

    Why: I sell my Mac every year and buy a new.
  19. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2006
    What I have:Homemade Athlon PC

    What I'm getting: Mac Pro 2.66

    Why: Best value for video editing

    When:Hopfully it'll be here next week!
  20. Chundles macrumors G4


    Jul 4, 2005
    12" iBook G4 1.2GHz with 512MB RAM and a 40GB HDD.​

    Next Mac:
    Whatever laptop I can afford when I'm looking to buy. Hopefully MacBook Pro​

    Probably sometime around 2008.​

    Because that's probably when I'll be able to afford it. Leopard will come pre-installed and it will really run serious rings around my iBook. Can't wait. :D

    So there you have it, that's my plan. If I can afford it by the end of '07 I might consider it but my main objective is to save up for a trip to Europe, a mac runs a very distant second to travel...or maybe not, I don't really know - as it stands getting to Europe with more than a toothbrush and a change of underware seems tough.
  21. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2006
    Credit cards and Apple financing say you can afford it now..:D
  22. zephead macrumors 68000


    Apr 27, 2006
    in your pants
    What I have: 3 year old Dell Inspiron 1100 (which literally IS the like the PC guy in the commercials) which I use pretty much just like the OP except for the video editing.

    What I'll get: A 2GHz MacBook

    Why: So I can do pretty much all the stuff I do now, without being paranoid that anything I download could destroy my computer. (I'll be careful not to d/l 10.4.7 :rolleyes:. ) Plus all the other advantages (and perks :D ) of Mac over Windows, while still being able to use Windows if I HAVE to.

    When: By the end of the year at least, when I save enough.
  23. Chundles macrumors G4


    Jul 4, 2005
    You guys must have different credit card systems, if I bought it now and didn't pay it off next month I'd get stung really hard.
  24. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040


    Mar 24, 2006
    Yes I know that feeling :(
  25. oreomac macrumors member

    Jan 4, 2005
    What I have: iBook G4 14"

    What I'll get: iMac 20"

    When I'll get it: When I get offered a job!

    Why? My iBook is getting slow & is fast running out of hard drive space & now I've finished university I don't need a laptop anymore as I just use the ibook in one spot.

Share This Page