your next mac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hawken king, May 20, 2007.

1. hawken king macrumors member

hawken king

Hi all, I've written a few mac articles on my blog before, however obviously it's easier to come here to get my mac fix with like minded people ;)

And my first question is: "what would be the wish list for your next mac?"

Personally, I'm holding out for a mac mini that can run HD content, with a bluray / hd-dvd drive built it, HDMI @ 1080p out.

I may be dreaming, but in all seriousness the mac mini I have currently chokes on 720p content, and my iMac isn't all that suitable for plugging into a hd tv.

So, any wishes?

(I can't make them come true)

2. alwaysaangel macrumors regular

A MB that doesn't look like a cheap toy with a terrible keyboard.

I don't need the power of the MBP at all but will be paying the extra because I can't stand how MBs look.

3. seh80 macrumors 6502

seh80

My only wish is for the MB to come with a matte screen option. I loathe the glossy, and will hang onto my iBook until my wish comes true.

4. mms macrumors 6502a

A 12 inch MBP. The exact same form factor as the old 12 inch PBs but with Santa Rosa and a discrete graphics card. I don't even care about a widescreen.

I refuse to buy any computer with integrated grpahics and I also think that 12 inches is the sweet spot when it comes to portability and usability. 15 inches is much too big for me since I'm used to this small PB and Apple really needs something to fill the price gap between the $1499 top MacBook and the $1999 base MBP.

5. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I'd say my next Apple will likely be a 15" portable, with a nice big hard drive (hopefully flash-based). That's all I really want, flash-based storage and maybe 5-10 hour battery life. Seeing as I won't be replacing my PowerBook anytime soon, my dreams might become a reality by the time I'm ready to buy.

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

A cheap, user-upgradeable mini-tower. The Mini is too limited, and the Mac Pro is too extreme - I want something in-between, headless.

7. hawken king thread starter macrumors member

hawken king

a headless mac with something in-between it's legs is certainly a nice prospect. Apple tv and the mini just don't cut the mustard when it comes to playback of true high def.

12" PB definitely needs a come back in MBP clothing, in 4:3. Wasn't there some kind of petition to apple about this?

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

a mac pro with at least 4 gigs of ram and lots of GBs and a 23" ACD with FCS2/3

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Quad core iMac with socketed CPU, video in, BD.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

hopefully

15'' Macbook Pro Santa Rosa
    2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
    4GB Ram
    250GB 5400rpm Hitachi drive
    Nvidia 8600GT
    LED backlit display (1680x1050)
    20'' ACD
    Final Cut Studio 2

hopefully i'll get that soon to replace my 9 month old dell inspiron that has turned out to be a piece of ****.

11. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

12. iBunny macrumors 65816

The Mac I want to see. Is an iMac, which is redesigned to house the computer components in the base, like a Bigger Mac Mini, with a hinge for a screen, that you can tilt anyway. Almost like the old G4 iMacs, but with a square mac mini ish base, and a widescreen monitor like current ACDs.

Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz / 1066FSB
    4GB DDR2 800 (2x2GB)
    GeForce Mobile 8600 GT 512MB
    1TB 7200RPM SATA2 HDD
    23 Inch Widescreen

Of Course, this would be the Top End Model Maxed out. But still... I would pay a solid 2500 USD for it.

13. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

two things:

1. an imac without a chin that's one inch thick.

2. a 12" ultraportable.

14. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Although this is my first imac, and I dont have much experience to base an opinion on, I would like to have a mighty mouse that right clicks flawlessly, built in speakers with a little more bump (eg. bass), Leopard pre-installed :), play/pause, prev/next buttons on the keyboard (hey! they are already halfway there with volume buttons :) ). I personally do not have a problem with the "chin" people talk about on the iMac. If they go with a bigger screen real-estate, they should make the monitor wall mountable. :)

15. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i agree about the mouse, which is why i use a logitech mx revolution. also, the 24" imac is wall-mountable.

16. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

octo core when ever they switch to that new chipset.

17. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

An MBP with:
    -big flash HD
    -4 gb of ram
    -Quad core precessor
    -lighter and thinner and cooler (wayyy cooler)
    -multitouch and higher res display

Well, I hope my MBP lasts until those come out, eventually...

18. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Almost exactally what I want! Maybe not the ACD pf FCS2, but YES! I doubt they'll offer that drive though, maybe a user replacabe HD update at WWDC, but that's a different subject, the point is... that is my dream machine!

19. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

>The return of Titanium! On the MBP at least, and even possibly a titanium Mac Pro.

>13" widscreen MBP. 12" 4:3 is too small in my opinion, and widscreen is the way to go.

>A 3G iPhone with 3MP camera and 20 GB of storage available on T-Mobile. AT&T gets terrible service, and T-Mobile has the best customer care. This one, however, is at least two years off.

>The return of the iLamp (aka iMac G4).

>A midtower would be nice, too, that was in between the iMac and Mac Pro in terms of power. Not a headless iMac.

20. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Just waiting on an update to the Macbook Pro and while I wouldn't mind a black aluminum version, a better GPU couldn't hurt.

21. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

all I want is an upgrade to the Mac mini once Leopard is released. I'll add it as my main computer and keep my 12" Ultraporable.. err, my 12" PB for light duty travel and school.

seriously, is there a better notebook than the 12" PB?

22. iBunny macrumors 65816

I know everyone wants to see a 12 inch MBP, but I dont think its a good idea. Too Small, and the 4:3 ratio is old. Unless they go 12 inch widescreen, but then... why not just use the 13 inch Widescreen thats used in the MacBooks?

I forsee a smaller MBP for sure, but it will be the Widsceen 13 inch.

23. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I want a Mac mini that is able to run 1080p h.264 and have AirPort N card in it.

Well, the 1080p part is optional, because I still have a CRT TV in my living room, but its still would be nice to know that it can playback 1080 when/if we buy a 1080 TV.

24. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

MBP 17"
    Radeon X2900.
    Blu-ray Writer and Reader.
    HDMI output with HDCP and at the 1.3 standard.
    Upgraded iSight.
    Hi Resolution screen, LED Backing, 1920x1200

MBP 13"
    Everything that I said minus
    Screen resolution at 1280x854
    Maybe a lowered Radeon card but still be atlease 512mb and DX 10.

Extra long battery life on both :D

25. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

I want a true HTPC from apple, a living room computer. Fast processors, lotsa ram, lotsa hard drive space, proper form factor for the living room, cablecard support. Built in HDDVD/BD drive with wireless remote/internet tablet.

On the other end, i want a stinkin mac ultraportable laptop already. Slow, extremely power sparing CPU, small screen in the 10 to 12 inch range, small hybrid disk drive, honkin huge battery. Something that is great for work type stuff and that's all, but weights under 2 pounds.

and finally, I want my apple home server.