Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2004
Alright I'm a little late at posting this, but I guess better late then never. I got to Walt Whitman mall here on Long Island about about 1:30pm the day of the launch and I finally arrived to the front of the Apple store at 5:30pm. All of a sudden this random guy comes up to me and says "Hey if you let me cut you in line, I'll buy your iphone for you". I was shocked to hear this, but after talking to him for about 30 seconds he was serious. He waited for the security guard to look away and he simply ducked underneath the ropes. We simply said we were together and proceeded to walk into the store. As we got in the store he and everything seemed to be cool he handed be $400 cash, in $100 bills. We exchanged emails and I told him I would help if out with any computer problems he needed. I told him I usually wouldn't have done this, but as a broke medical student any dollar I can get is useful. He said don't worry about it my business is doing very well right now.
:D:D:D:D:D

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Not exactly fair to those behind you in line, but for $400...

Well, congratulations :D

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Congrats, I hope they have some when I get mine this week. :D

Reminds me of this YouTube video I saw when the first iPhone came out. Some lady was gonna spend $100,000 or so on buying all the iPhones in the store [release day], paid the first guy in line $400 or $500 for his spot, only to find out she was limited to 2 iPhones per customer. :rolleyes:

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Reminds me of this YouTube video I saw when the first iPhone came out. Some lady was gonna spend $100,000 or so on buying all the iPhones in the store [release day], paid the first guy in line $400 or $500 for his spot, only to find out she was limited to 2 iPhones per customer. :rolleyes:
I was reminded as that as well.

For $400 (cash even! :eek: ) I would have let him TAKE my spot in line, go home, and come back another day. You scored.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
That is BS. If you give up your spot it's OK but to let someone cut in front of others is morally wrong. Too bad you weren't caught and thrown out. For all those defending how would you feel if you were behind him and the person in front of you got the last iPhone that you would have got. Or if it's OK to let 1 cut in line in front of you how about 2 or 50 for that matter.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Well now that we have established what you are, lets talk price.

:)

Seriously though, risky move as it could have potentially gotten people behind you pissed off.

asmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
Ohio
That is BS. If you give up your spot it's OK but to let someone cut in front of others is morally wrong. Too bad you weren't caught and thrown out. For all those defending how would you feel if you were behind him and the person in front of you got the last iPhone that you would have got. Or if it's OK to let 1 cut in line in front of you how about 2 or 50 for that matter.

morally wrong? LOL I think you are taking a spot in line a bit serious, yes? ;)

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2004

The person at the Apple store did a head count and said everyone is guaranteed a phone. So...

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
The concept of the "queue" is one thing that separates civilized countries from the less so.

Allowing someone to buy your spot is a matter of taste, but does nothing to the others.

Selling your spot but not giving it up (which is what you did) is just rude.

I'm sure you don't care cause you got your money for it.

What you should have done is gone to the end of the line.

reub

macrumors member
May 8, 2007
The concept of the "queue" is one thing that separates civilized countries from the less so.

Allowing someone to buy your spot is a matter of taste, but does nothing to the others.

Selling your spot but not giving it up (which is what you did) is just rude.

I'm sure you don't care cause you got your money for it.

What you should have done is gone to the end of the line.

+1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.