Your old phone - getting the hint..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Oh-es-Ten, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Oh-es-Ten macrumors regular

Oh-es-Ten

As I patiently wait for Nov 09th in the UK, strange things have started happening to my current phone - Nokia N91...

When I first bought the N91 I paid £150 for the handset, but still thought it would save carrying around an iPod and a phone, however then the iPhone was launched... and slowly but surely my N91 was like an annoying relative who you want to show the door as soon as it is possible...

I think it knows it is about to be replaced very soon. When I had a loaner iPhone for a week to play with from work, it knew it's days were numbered - so it started freezing more than usual. Battery life has slowly gotten worse as well. Perhaps cries for attention or a final strop..

Ever since the launch days got under 20 days to go - now I get 'Out of Memory' and constant messages to restart the phone to free up more memory. Never seen that before in the whole time I had it...

The poor thing. Oh well....

Anyone else had the same thing with their old phone before they got their (or going to get their) iPhone?

2. afd macrumors 6502a

the joystick on my SE K700i is much worse than normal. It refuses to go down. (unfortunate expression, but don't know how else to phrase it!)

3. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

4. oreomac macrumors member

yep, I keep losing the sound from the earpiece & have to put it onto loudspeaker to make calls, so I'm pretty much texting everyone now. The iphone can't be released soon enough

5. Hellenek macrumors member

My Treo 650 annoys me more and more by the day. What I used to ignore before is now a major irritant. Those frequent resets...
    I have an iPhone on order so my impatience knows no bounds ;-))

6. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

well dont worry once you get your iphone you wont have to worry about using speaker phone ever again.

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

My N73 is hanging on by a thread. I've decided not to get the iPhone this time around, though, on the basis of hating O2, needing more functionality and finding the whole deal exceptionally poor value. I'm going to get the Nokia N95 8GB instead and look forward to future iPhone releases.

8. roblawton macrumors 6502

I've never had a problem with my SE K800i, however this last week, I've been having problems with the battery constantly.

I've always had my contrast set at 50% and this would normally make the battery last a good 4 days or so... however, I've actually ran out of juice twice over the past 5 days, and I don't think I've been using it more... but I think it knows I'm getting an iPhone so is starting to give up already! :eek:

Roll on Nov 9th! :D

9. dodonutter macrumors regular

My D900 has started acting up...the vibrate function has decided to pack up unless i give the phone a good whack, (which probably is not helping matters) and about every 3rd call i make the person at the other end can't hear me so i have to hang up and call again.

I was trying to decide if i was going to splash out on an iPhone as I haven't bought myself a present since my powerbook in 2004 but i do have a baby on the way so shouldn't spend money but my phone slowly dying isn't helping me say no! Damn apple and their toys!:p

10. ne0star macrumors regular

Well my N95 definitley got the hint because I flogged it on ebay as soon as I found out I could migrate my o2 contract without paying a penalty :D

11. The Menacer macrumors member

It's so weird to me now that after switching back to regular phone after having an iPhone - it was an impulse buy - every other phone SUCKS. I always find myself trying to go online, only to remember that I can't on my Motorola V220... haha.

12. Oh-es-Ten thread starter macrumors regular

Oh-es-Ten

Part II

Well I downloaded the newest firmware for my sluggish N91 today and it has certainly made things better... however the actual effort to do this reenforced the decision once again.

1. Had to get on an XP PC to install the software updater.
    2. The software updater installer had to install three more pieces of software (one to support the USB cable.. huh?)
    3. The software update kept crashing on launch. Had to 'End Task' 3 times before it would actually launch
    4. The restore wiped out pretty much everything on my phone

So - I have a better working N91 now, but the entire process has just told me why I am making the right decision anyway...
    1. Plug in iPhone
    2. Hit update in iTunes

Now the N91 is trying to tempt me back by being on best behaviour. Not going to work I'm afraid...