Your opinion: 800 Mhz FB-DIMM prices?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TheStrudel, Dec 13, 2010.

1. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Like many people intending to buy more RAM, I have a hard time figuring out when the right time to buy for my machine is. So I've got a few questions for people who already bought, are thinking of buying, or have watched RAM price trends over the years.

I currently have 4x 2 GB sticks plus the 1 GB sticks that shipped in my 08 Mac Pro. I'm intending to buy 4x 4GB sticks to expand it out to a total of 24 GB of RAM, but I want to buy when it's cost effective. Currently, the best price I can get for what I want is $496 from TransIntl off of a holiday special.

Here are the questions:

Does anybody know what the lowest price 4 GB 800 Mhz FB-DIMMs ever sold for was? I don't think we're at the low now, but prices were higher half a year ago than they are currently.

Do you think that prices will continue to trend down, or are they going to go up soon as a result of the memory being obsolete and having low production volumes to begin with?

Should I just buy this now, or is it likely to get cheaper?

Currently, Photoshop and Lightroom are my only apps that really grab a lot of memory (and I create some massive images), but I expect the next version of Final Cut to grab tons.

Your thoughts? All opinions welcomed.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I recall following those prices hectically back in 2008-2009 and the lowest price I saw was for Kingston KTA-MP800K2/4G at around 600-640 DKR (~$108-114) in Denmark.

I felt like a fool for not upgrading back then. Now prices are around 845 DKR (~$152) for the same kit, which has been on a slow trickle downward but no stock.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Buy it now. The low has come and gone, there won't be another low like there was a couple of years ago because during that time the DRAM manufacturers lost billions. FB-DIMMs are likely to go up in price, not down. What will probably happen is due to low demand the inventory of retailers won't increase and they won't discount, because they have no need to. They will hold on to it, increasing the price.

4. TheStrudel thread starter macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I had reasoned as much. Though I would imagine that FB-DIMMS will not get cheaper because it's an older, obsolete architecture (not a ton of money to be made, there) more than because the over-competitive DRAM manufacturers are less savvy than the (less honest) LCD price-fixers.

It seems like that TransIntl price is as good as there is to be found, too.

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I recall buying my 4 x 2gb kit for around 150. It was from owc. Now it seems to have doubled hopefully 12 gb is enough to last me until I sell it.

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I seem to recall paying around $250 in March 2009 for a 4x2GB FB-DIMM kit for my 2008 Mac Pro from Trans Intl. It doesn't seem like the pricing has changed very much since then. Currently, it's $244 for the same kit on their website.

But I'm with everyone else. Buy now if you're going to do it. As with all memory, the older tech stuff increases in price - it all comes down to supply and demand.

7. shaunmedrik macrumors newbie

All Desktop are different prize .Prize is depend on your requirement like RAM,Hard disc,Motherboard etc.Many people are require 1 GB RAM and many people Required 500 MB RAM so different prize for different things.

8. DualShock macrumors 6502

A little over a year ago I bought 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) 800 MHz Crucial FB-DIMM's from Newegg for $189.

Ah those were the days. Now the same is at least $300. :(

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary . . . come again?

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Lemme try to translate. All ram for all desktops are different prices/ The price depends on your requirement for ram, HDD, mobo, etc... Many people require 1GB ram and many people used to require 512mb ram. So different prices for different uses.

Any good? No, I didn't think so. It still makes no sense...

11. ZennZero macrumors member

If you don't mind buying used/system pull RAM, try ebay. I just picked up 16GB of 800Mhz FBDIMMs (4 x 4GB) for a total of $340... Plus triple ebay bucks.

12. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

13. TheStrudel thread starter macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

2 GB chip prices are irrelevant to me. I already have 4 2 GB chips and I'm not buying more.

Used RAM might be an idea, though...RAM is, generally speaking, one of the components least likely to fail.

14. dimme macrumors 65816

After reading this thread I have decided to add more ram to my 2008 MacPro after the holidays. I have 6Gb now 2 1GB dimms and 2-2GB dimms. I am planing to add 2-2GB for a total of 10GB. Or am I better off buying 4 1GB dimms because of dimm placement. I see in the manual it says to place "Two pairs on the top memory card and one pair on the bottom card". Now I have One pair on the top memory card and one pair on the bottom card. Seems odd to move all the memory around.
    Any thoughts...

15. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Buy 2x2GB, then you can add again if you want. 2x2GB in the first slots on each riser and 2x1GB in the other slots on the top riser.