Your Opinion of the New Pre-Order Method

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by RyanButler, Apr 20, 2015.

1. RyanButler macrumors newbie

RyanButler

Anyone here upset or happy about the two week pre-order wait instead of the normal one week? Do you think its better or worse? What do you think Apple could have done differently? Was this pre-order stretched out because of stock limitations or do you think it is a new tactic for every pre-order from here on out put in motion by Angela? Share your thoughts.:apple:

2. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

I don't think it's going to turn out to be much different. It looks like most of the 4/24–5/8 delivery date orders are now preparing for shipment, which means they'll likely be delivered on Friday.

3. xPad macrumors regular

I think with the Apple Watch, it's because of the combinations. Apple has to package the different watches and bands after the fact, and the combinations aren't as easy to predict.

And the other part of this launch, having everything online until supply meets demand, is excellent. This means people will get their watches more quickly, and eliminates line-waiting scalpers.

4. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I think the 2 week thing is watch specific. So many combinations had to take time to put together.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

I believe this won't be standard practice and won't be carried forward with preorders of other Apple products. I think Apple had to do it this way because the :apple:Watch is a brand new product line plus there are so many combinations of watches. It's certainly not ideal from a consumer point of view but it was probably what Apple felt they had to do under the circumstances.

6. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

7. sb22 macrumors 6502

sb22

The only negative points I would have made:

The app did not allow for multiple watches in one basket. You had to check out each watch individually. This also meant the 2 watch limit (that I wasn't aware of at the time) warning did not appear when i ordered 3 individually.

Those who did that were at the risk of apple cancelling a random watch so I decided to cancel one of my 3.

Had I known any of that i would have got my hubby to order his own!:mad:

Oh well!

2 weeks is a bit of a wait but I wasn;t too fussed. I'm not a shop queuer either

8. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

My biggest complaint is having a two week window for shipping, and for those that don't have a two week window all they get is a month window for shipping. This makes it rather difficult to plan ahead and trying to predict when we need to be available to sign for a package pretty much impossible. It's really taking quite a bit of fun out of the whole process. I hope Apple doesn't ever manage a product release like this again.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The two week shipping window tells me that Apple is not confident in getting them ready to go on a specific date. Hopefully they will ship sooner than later but the supply line rules it all.

10. ckorhonen macrumors member

ckorhonen

I feel like the entire launch has been a bit drawn out, but it is a totally new product and understandable that they may be having a bit of trouble forecasting demand.

Personally, I'd have put the watches in the stores earlier - maybe after the March event the stores should have started to get the tables containing the watches. Generate a bit of interest, and give people the chance to see the watch before pre-orders.

From my experience seeing the product in person gave me a totally different impression from the renders on the website - it was a lot smaller, sleeker than I had imagined.

Maybe start try-ones a week before the pre-orders opened too, again get more people in the door but also let them make an informed choice when preordering to hopefully reduce the amount of people ordering multiple and canceling later, and returns when the watch arrives and people realize they don't like their choice of band - makes it easier to manage the inventory.

11. ninjadex macrumors 6502

I think the pre-order method is fine in itself.

I think the real issue driving everybody a bit mad is that Apple announced this product in September 2014, and hinted that it would be available "Early 2015".

Many feel like they've been in line for the product ever since the original announcement.

12. Cabinwood macrumors newbie

I think the two week preorder is fine. As others have mentioned, there are so many combinations to package up.

I think they should have let people come into store a week or so in advance to play with them so they would know for sure what to order. I think there are a bunch of people who ordered a couple intending to return the one they didn't want.

13. blatch macrumors member

blatch

I prefer to get a store reservation and pick it up there. No messing with delivery companies. Plus, it's fun.

14. Sphyrna macrumors regular

I agree. They should have had the displays and try-on appointments at the stores at least a week before pre-orders went live. This would give people an opportunity to see/feel the different models and bands and decide what they want. I ordered what I'm pretty sure I will like the best, but in person I may not like it as much as another watch/band combination. It would have been nice to see them and try them on before the pre-order.

Well, I guess I could have went to an Apple store on April 10th and tried them on then make my pre-order but then I'd have a June ship time.

15. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

Personally, I don't like it at all... having preordered 8+ Apple products to date, this is the first time that I won't receive the product on 'Day 1'.... and my order was 'timestamped' only 4 minutes into the preorder process. So I would have to say that this is a disappointment, though I'm not complaining -just pointing out what happened.

16. lsh macrumors 6502

I'm ok with process. I agree that with all the variations, it doesn't make sense to do it any other way. I have a May 14-28 delivery date. While I'd rather have it sooner, I wouldn't want Apple to have a later launch just to have more on hand for first shipment.

17. mattburley7 macrumors 68020

I agree with this scenario. This product was announced way too early. The original announcement should have been in March and availability in April. Things have been drawn out too long. It feels like its been a year waiting for the watch to come.

18. AbsoluteMustard macrumors regular

That is exactly how I feel. Ive been waiting for this for MONTHS!!! :D

19. jim2011 macrumors member

They should have had try-ons before opening up orders. Anyone who wanted to try a watch on before ordering is now in the back of the queue.

They also did not have enough stock of the models. I managed to order the space grey sports watch 20 minutes after it went on sale. Shipping date: June.

20. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

But that has to do with demand of the product you ordered, what does you complaint have to with the process?

My only thought about the process is that they had no way to order a true custom watch, only their preset customs. Let's say I want a Sport with the Leather loop, there should be an option to custom order that with out having to separately but the loop. Or and I am thinking specifically of the black SS, I really like that color but hate the fact you can only buy it paired with the Casio band. Personally, I would order, if I could, a blackSS with Black Leather loop. But I can't because it's not a preset combo. However, if people could create own custom order (with an understandable 1-2week delay over a standard order) that would be great.

21. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

So you are telling me that the original iPad, various iPhones, iMac refresh etc weren't in demand at all for preorder? Good job.