Your Opinion on Apple Care - Should I Get It?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rocknpop, Jan 13, 2009.

1. rocknpop macrumors member

I have a new MacBook MB403LL/A (early 2008 model) 2.4Ghz, 2gb RAM upgraded to 4GB.

My question: Would you get the AppleCare Protection Plan - Extended service agreement - parts and labor - 3 years ? It's a bit over $100 but is it worth it or are most problems fixable? And what kind of problems would this resolve? I mean, if my computer crashes... I could just simply re-install the OS right?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Buy Applecare from a reputable seller on Ebay, you'll get it at 1/4 the cost.

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

You should definitely buy it...It's worth the price..

5. rocknpop thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, but my question is geared more towards:

Can I just re-install the OS if something happens to the computer?

Unless there are quality problems with the life expectancy of the components I don't see a reason to get it?

6. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

It depend on what you are doing to cause the mac to have a short life expectancy. All I can say is that Mac can live longer than PC *lol*

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you read the threads in the link I posted, you'll find many reasons (from a hardware standpoint) to own it, along with varied opinions. AppleCare doesn't cover software, only hardware. Reinstalling the OS would correct any software issues.

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

If you live near an Apple Store, yes, but get it on eBay. Otherwise, it's a waste, believe me :p

9. rocknpop thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick replies guys... but I have to say you scare me :eek:... "it's a waste" and, "you'll find many reasons (from a hardware standpoint) to own it". I have a 7 year old P4 Dell that I have not needed any additional support... :confused:

The only reaosning I can come up with is... "it's a laptop so there is a higher potential to drop/bump/hit it and that small d/b/h will damage the parts". Of that is is all of your reasonings then I will go ahead and get it even though I will mostly use it for home recording with Pro Tools.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare doesn't cover accidents or physical damage.

11. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

You should get it. If you plan on keeping your Mac for more then a year, get it. In fact I just had to call AppleCare today and they were very helpful. It's worth the money.

Don

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Spoilsport. We haven't had a new thread on this subject in over five minutes!

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4, actually! :p

14. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Geez, has it been that long? Or were you counting the Frankenthreads? :p

15. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes. I would get AppleCare for a laptop, but I think it's a waste of money for a desktop. There is a lot that can go wrong on a laptop, it is exposed to a lot more abuse over the course of normal use, and repairs tend to be more complicated and costly. In my experience, laptops act up more, and when they do, it costs more to fix them. It's worth it.

If you drop it, no, but it's still being handled a fair bit as opposed to a desktop which remains in one spot for months or years on end. Any computer company that considers a laptop's warranty void because it has left the house doesn't deserve to be given the time of day.

16. rocknpop thread starter macrumors member

Thanks BlueRevolution, that answers my question. I will buy it within the next month or so.

The rest of you guys... gimme a break! I'm new :D :cool: and... I was asking a bit more of a taylor to the subject question. I know... I'm a noob right now, but wait a couple o' months and I'll be giving you recommendations!!! :D

17. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No problem. In response to your earlier question:

AppleCare isn't out there to protect you in the event of software problems. You can reinstall the OS to your heart's content, or we can probably help you get back on your feet without having to resort to that if you run into troubles. AppleCare is to ensure you're covered hardware-wise.

18. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think people are saying "it's a waste" if you buy it from Apple for $250 instead of buying it from an eBay source for around $100 usually a little less with the Live.com rebate.

It is definitely worth buying it for $100; even if you plan to sell it within a year, it adds more than $100 in value to selling it used (in my experience).

Once incident of a fried logic board at 366 days of age, and you could be out $750! Many potential examples, nearly all problems that happen will cost a heck of a lot more than the $100 you pay for AppleCare.

Good luck, and congrats on your MB.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Both. They're equally hard to kill.

20. DavyC412 macrumors member

I have a year old compaq (circa 2002, so about 7 years old as well) thats been dropped, hit, had the HDD fall out, had something really heavy put on it (causing burns on the screen), and it still works perfectly, except for a one button missing when i accidentially knocked it off a table, and the screen (i got it like that (used and free)). the hdd fell out once, but i popped it back in and it was good as new. the only upgrade the thing has ever has was an additional 256mb of memory.

the thing still works perfectly (i use it as my desktop computer at work), as the newer macs that everyone else uses drop like flies. it seems like if you decide to buy apple, you pretty much have to expect something will go catastrophilcally wrong within the first 1-3 years.

21. chimaki macrumors newbie

agreed. i had a faulty headphone juack on my blackbook which wasn't a huge issue until it got to the point where sound wouldn't work without speakers or headphones plugged in. figured loose wiring or connection and it would be an easy fix. i brought it in and they ended up replacing the logic board, glad i had applecare.