Your opinion on laptop speakers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mydisplaycare, Aug 3, 2011.

1. mydisplaycare, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

How do you think speakers on a macbook compare to speakers on other laptops? I tend to appreciate the clear, bass sound that external computer speakers have, but if you have a macbook, do you use external speakers or headphones, or do you believe laptop speakers are good enough?

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

They suck. I never use them. When I'm at home, I have a set of Logitech speakers. When I'm somewhere else I use earphones. And if I really have to use them, I put the equalizer in iTunes to "Amplify bass" so it sounds decent.

But that's just me, it depends on your level of audiophile-ness ;) (While I'm not a real audiophile which buys 24kt gold cables, I enjoy bassy speakers.)

3. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I have a 15" MBP and my speakers sound loud and decent. I could probably get better sound quality from a pair of headsets, but seeing as I haven't bought them yet it seems as if I don't mind the quality of the sound that emanates from the laptop.

All in all, they aren't bad and definitely better than most laptops out there. Of course, this depends on your model, as a 11" Air's speakers are almost non-existant :p

4. mydisplaycare thread starter Guest

haha. Thanks for your input! I'm a bit OCD about how movies and music sound so having good bassy sound is important to me too.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Laptop speakers are, as a rule, not very good. With that being said some are clearly better than others. Apple's seem about average to me.

6. mydisplaycare thread starter Guest

That's good to know that the sound is better on the MBP, since I don't like to be stuck to my desk just to be able to listen to something. Thank you!

7. mydisplaycare thread starter Guest

I agree! So what are some good laptop speakers that you can think of? Anyone else can answer this. Thanks!

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

So are you planning on buying a laptop strictly based on its speaker capability? I wouldn't judge a laptop by its speakers.

9. mydisplaycare thread starter Guest

no no i'm just curious what the good ones are, and wondering why more companies don't try to improve on laptop speakers.

10. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

They try, but you can't make magic with a driver the size of a quarter. Subwoofers are at least 8" in diameter, to give you an idea.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'd just get whatever speakers sound good, whether they're made for a laptop or not.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Agreed that laptop speakers are, at best, mediocre.

There's an app that helps a little called Boom. Not as good as decent external speakers, but it does increase volume (very noticeably), and gives a really simple equalizer.

NOT FOR AUDIOPHILES :p

13. TSE macrumors 68030

The only laptop speakers that have EVER impressed me are the ones on my friend's Dell XPS 15. Those are pretty damn nice. Not nearly as good as a pair of desktop speakers, but for being portable they were nice.

14. mydisplaycare thread starter Guest

Hmm.. very interesting. Thanks!

15. mydisplaycare thread starter Guest

haha that sounds good. I'll look into it. Thanks!

16. mydisplaycare thread starter Guest

very true. i'm sure someday they'll come up with small speakers with good sound! :D

17. Gimmeeat969 macrumors newbie

Laprop speakers are noy good enough yet/ the bass always suffuers because laptops are flat and toy need to create more of a third dimention to include nbass frequencies. external speakers are the only way forward until technology catches up.

18. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Not possible with convention speaker design... The laws of physics prevent small speakers from being able to push enough air to accurately reproduce bass.