your opinion on the touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by APPLEFAN8, Oct 12, 2007.

1. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

I'm thinking about getting the touch!(8GB) since my b-day is tuesday and plus my 30GB video battery dies quick! I was wondering what are some pro's and con's to the touch? I'll probably get it but I was just looking for peoples opinions first! Also does it come with a dock that plugs into my macbook like the old ipod dock? Just wondering thanks

2. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Pros

Pros:
    Safari is good.
    Video quality is amazing.
    Its hacked.

No cons. Get it.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

only problem you MIGHT have is capacity, other than that, not many cons.

4. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

yeah I was thinking about capacity but i'll see I can take off stuff I don't want anymore on my ipod

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, well, well... you're buying another Apple product. Not getting AppleCare for your birthday? hmmm... Also, there's no need to document every step of buying/consideration with a new thread.

Anyhow, the touch is a pretty good product. Capacity is the only drawback to the 8GB. But for most people, if the 8 isn't enough, the 16 won't be either.

6. The Hitman macrumors member

The Hitman

Pros: Everything

Cons: Finger print magnet

I got the IPod Touch today and the thing RULES!!

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

8. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Nope I already got it! For my macbook

9. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

10. dpash macrumors newbie

i have literally had every ipod since the 2nd generation came out. Everytime a new ipod comes out, off to ebay goes my old ipod. Ive had everything from the traditional ipod including an extra nano (gen 1 and 2) and I think I had a mini in there somewhere. I never got really excited about them, they were like old Volvos to me, reliable, but had a purpose and that wasnt to be ultra cool.

Whenever I get a new ipod, i upload and forget it. I use it when I need it obviously but I have never carried a Ipod around the house until now. This thing is amazing and Ive only had it for about a week. Just hacked it and now im even more addicted. To give u an example of how much I love this, sometimes I would rather browse the internet on my itouch than use my nice 23 inch Apple Cinema Display!!! haha I look for reasons to use this and ive never had a piece of technology (and ive had them all) make me want to do that.

But seriously, this is not ur usual ipod, i know youve most likely read about all the features on it so you know what it can do. Theres a lot of little touches about it, like for example, browsing the net? want to change the audio track your listening to? No problem, double click the home button and kinda like a wideget on OSX a little screen appears giving you some basic controls for your music.....but lets say you want to change the whole playlist, or album or artist? It gives you controls that are very slick to take you out of safari and back into your music mode with one touch. With my ipod it was always spin my finger round and round, then hit menu to go back, then hit it again to go back, then hit it again to go back...etc etc etc

What im trying to say here is that this is one example of how well they put this thing together, and im sure its going to improve. I found ipods always to be pretty boring but they did a great job. They were always harddrives with a fancy tiny little screen to change your music and if you look closely enough maybe a video to watch.

The touch and iphone are the sexiest device ive ever had. I carry it with me constantly and its getting a lot more love than my blackberry (which im addicted too). It gets a lot of envious looks as well:D

Hope my ramblings help:D

11. nlivo macrumors 6502a

really, you have no idea how good it is until you use it. It is just amazing. The only thing i don't like is how you can't open links in safari in a new tab (unless there is a way and im missing something). i just love how everything is tied in together (much less than iPhone though, obviously because of the lack of a phone) but when you click a youtube link in safari it opens in the youtube app, when you click on a link in a contact (i have started adding people's myspace to each contact) and just the way it opens up in safari just makes you smile. Even when you click on a link in safari that is made to open in a new page, it feels awesome. I am addicted to this device. The only thing i would absoloutely love is games. I really want some games because sometimes i want to use it but i have been to all my websites i visit and i just want to use the device. haha. And also another negative, apple have included too many cool wallpaper options, i have no idea which one to choose. Damn you apple. But seriously, buy it now!!!

12. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

yeah my mom is taking me to best buy and circuit city to see what I want for my b-day probably try the touch and see how it is and maybe get it

13. Evangelion macrumors 68040

No device has ever impressed me as much as the touch has. This device is superb in every sense of the word. I remember when I watched star trek and thought "when will we have technology like that?". With touch I feel that we have reached that threshold. This thing looks and feels like it has been teleported from the future. On paper there might be devices that offer more features, but in reality this thing blows everything else away. It's that good.

Posted with touch, btw. Typing with the keyboard is a breeze.

14. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Pros:
    Portable Internet when connected to a WiFi network​

Cons:
    Feels cheap
    iPod didn't need interface redesign like the mobile phone did
    Limited storage
    Large

Personally, I prefer the new Nano.

15. Reimer macrumors regular

Reimer

Cons:

No disk mode
    Having to take it out of your pocket all the time to change tracks and volume when listening to music

16. Evangelion macrumors 68040

I'm sorry but that's a load of crap. Feels cheap? Large? Dude, lay off the crack, it's not good for you!

17. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

The nano feels larger to me, at least the Touch is all screen. Half of the front of the nano isn't screen. :)

18. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

1) ...yeah, the whole glass and metal thing is so chintzy, innit?
    2) Perhaps, but it still feels worlds better to use than the classic iPod.
    3) If by this you mean the most flash memory you can get for a reasonable amount of money, then sure.
    4) ...are you smoking something?

19. adamsweeting macrumors regular

Feels cheap?!?! WTF! It's about the sexiest gadget you can buy right now. I get random people stopping me in the street asking me what it coz it looks so damn sexy!

...What the other guy said - lay off the crack!

20. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Limited storage is a con, yet you prefer the nano...:confused:

21. dpash macrumors newbie

Thats the only pro you can come up with? I can't really respect your judgement too much if you think thats is the only pro while also thinking that the touch feels cheap. I dont think you even own one. If you think its cheap what would you reccomend it be made out of? If it was cheap it would stracth in my pocket without protection. As it is I can place this thing in a bag of screws and not damage the front. Yes you can scratch the metal case on the back, but all ipods run that risk, even your beloved nano. I also dont understand how you can say it has limited storage while also being too large? Is 8mm to thick for you?

The ipod didnt need and didnt get much of an interface change....the Ipod Touch is not the ipod and I think most people who complain about the touch size forget that there is another option out there for people who require more memory.

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

No question about it - just get one!
    I drove 100 miles on Thursday to pick one up from the only Apple store I could find with them in stock in the UK and would happily have driven twice as far. Since I got it I don't think I've put it down for more than a couple of hours - it is absolutely fantastic :D
    One thing though - if you can, go for the 16GB: you can never have too much storage ;)

23. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

well I went to the apple store and looked around then I went to costco and got the touch for 280! Its awesome! I got the 8GB but i'm just opening it now! Now somehow I have 3 ipods!