Your opinion please on my MB/MBP/MP decision

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sbb155, Jul 27, 2007.

1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

I need a mac for FCE only. I work at home and the office. ihave a 2GHz MB core duo (not C2D) with 1.25GB RAM.

My options are: 4GB 17 inch MBP and sell MB

OR

2.66 mac pro, 4GB, and keep mac book.

any opinions on this?

How about FCE perfomane in these configs?

Thanks

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Get the Mac Pro, but to be honest with 2GB RAM in the Macbook it should be fine for Final Cut Express.

3. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

There's no reason to sell your current notebook unless you really want the MBP. If it were me, I'd go for the MacPro and keep the MacBook. MacBook obviously for protability, and the MacPro as your power-house at home.

4. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I would agree with MacPossum, buy the macpro and keep the macbook its a nice little portable computer that will serve you well.

5. sbb155 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess it comes down to this: I work at home and the office. Some would say it is easier to do this on one computer, others would say it is easier to just take the external hard drive with the project back and forth between the laptop at work and the desktop at home.

How much difference am I going to see with FCE and a 4gb MBP vs. a 4GB mac pro?

6. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

You'll see a difference, but it will not be a big deal if you're only working in FCE, even if you are using HD footage. The Mac Pro would be great, the MacBook Pro would be great. You'd be losing a couple of cores, but FCE doesn't always use all cores on a computer. The MBP would be fine for intense FCE work if you really want just one comp.