Your opinions / advice re : new 20" screen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sushiman, Sep 13, 2007.

1. sushiman macrumors member

I've been reading more than my share of cons about the new 20" monitor , with some folks wishing they'd gone for the 24 ) . I will be buying an iMac ( I've given up the idea of possibly buying a Mini as my Fujitsu monitor began acting up yesterday ) as soon as Leopard is out and had thought the 20 would be perfect but am now having second thoughts . I don't really require the larger screen but if it is superior in picture quality and has some other positive qualities I'd like to know what they are . Thanks in advance ...

Sushi

2. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I usually find that I never regret extra screen real estate even at a higher price. Right now I have a 20" screen attached to my macbook and it feels immense to me. I'll just try avoiding work on any bigger screens so that I don't get the feeling mine is too small now.

3. sushiman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the post . Actually , I've read here and elsewhere that some folks were unhappy with the new 20" monitors for a variety of reasons not inc. the glare . I'm just wondering the the 24 is a better perfomer and has overall better picture quality . Is it worth the extra money if size is not the only consideration ?

4. deadkenny macrumors regular

The 20" iMac definetly is not worth it's money. The new "TN-Type" Panel only supports 6bit colordepth / channel so a total or 18bit which results in a maximum of

5. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

You can't have too many pixels or too much RAM.

6. Coprolite macrumors member

If I were you, I would research the monitor you have now. Find out the specifications for it and decide if you are happy with it. If you want to upgrade the monitor then you pick the corresponding computer.

Many people are perfectly happy with TN aka laptop spec. screens. If you are one of them, then don't worry about it.

I do agree that bigger screens are definitely addictive.