Your own funeral

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Queso, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Queso macrumors G4

Not wanting to get morbid, but... :)

No really. I made a comment the other day in conversation that when I go I don't want to be embalmed or in a coffin, since to me it makes more sense to just bury a body and let nature do its thing. Some people around the dinner table (yeah, my friends and I have THE BEST parties!! :p) were horrified about this and it got me wondering what other people may come up with if asked.

Obviously very few of us (I hope) would have deeply contemplated it to the point of picking out music and choosing flowers, but does anyone have a general idea of how they want their "mortal remains" disposed of? Going into the ground, up a chimney or into the family vault in a solid gold casket?

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

How odd.
    This morning in the shower I was wondering about starting this exact thread. :eek:

Short answer: cremation.
    No fuss.

3. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I don't want to be just another tombstone in the graveyard....

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

After seeing your pic in uniform a few month's back, I can see a burial at sea for you.

When dead, I don't wish to take up space from the living. Wish I could fertilize something, but health codes leave cremation as my option.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Which is definitely an excellent way... and worth considering... except I have an absolute horror of the deep ocean (and yes, I know I'd be too dead to care.;)).
    Maybe they could float me off a beach or something. Although that way I'd probably drift back again and again.

6. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

And attract sharks to attack children. All very neolithic that, taking others with you. Nice one :D

7. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I told my girlfriend I want to be cremated, packed inside a hollowed out Mac Mini Server, and sent to Apple. Wish any luck, I will get recycled into the next lineup of Mac computers...

Think about that for a second... You think I'm the first to think of that? There could be a dead guy made into your computer right NOW :D

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I'd prefer to be buried without a coffin or embalming fluid straight in the ground with a tree planted above my grave site so that my body may complete its part of the circle. Unfortunately, things like this aren't actually legal, and it'd be one ugly tree.

9. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Personally I think embalming is pretty creepy, and I have made mention to my brother that when my time comes, just cremate me and save money.

That said, I do have a burial plot picked out next to my parents, and when we got a grave marker for my parents made I had them leave space for me. So Im pretty set.

Some people say its creepy/morbid to already have that stuff set up, but death is inevitable, and more often than not someones passing is hard on those left behind. This way whoever is left to deal with my passing is going to have less to deal with.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Cut me up and give any organs that you can to others. If anything useful remains, donate it for science research purposes. I don't want my body to be buried or cremated if it can help others.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

12. Jaffa Cake, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The Vikings had the right idea — set me out in the Humber in a blazing longboat. :)

Hopefully though I won't drift near the refinery on the south bank. :eek:

13. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Cremated, with my ashes spread out over the Pacific from somewhere up in the stratosphere.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't have much of a preference, TBH.

I've told my wife she could cremate me - it's cheaper than a burial - but she doesn't want that.

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm not sure. I've had family members be cremated (died because of an awful body mangling accident) and buried. I guess they're mostly buried but I'm not sure what I want honestly. At that point I don't think I'll care what happens to my body. I would like to make it easier for the family though. I think I'll have to chat with my wife about it.

17. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I hate the typical look of coffins, but I'd be fine with one like this:

[​IMG]

Of course, I wouldn't mind being put directly into the earth, either, if that was possible. Maybe wrapped in a biodegradable sheet or something... :eek:

It would be nice if one could be buried somewhere in the wild, not in a graveyard, and with no markings at all on the ground above it.

I'm actually listening to Elgar's The Dream of Gerontius right now... :p

18. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

19. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I don't really care, I'm not going to see it. :D

It'll be upto my wife.

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

A Pine box. That's a humble way to go. I like it!

My father-in-law wants to be tied to a tree in Washington state and let the bears eat him.

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Put my dead body on the next probe to Jupiter and send it into the gaseous planet. First human to land on Jupiter. :D

22. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Give my organs to those who need them, let the rats get the rest.

23. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Doesn't matter to you what I want, but it is important that everyone make their wishes known to whomever will be tasked with the job. Nothing worse than wondering forever if you did the right thing for the deceased. :(

P.S. Make a will while you are at it.