Your performance in Parallels 6

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ivangf2, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Ivangf2, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

Ivangf2 macrumors newbie

Ivangf2

Hello everyone I want to know your performance of CPU percentage of usage and your memory RAM usage when you are running parallels and windows 7

I just installed it on my MBA 13, 2GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, and I notice these differences before and after installing Parallels

1. When I had not have installed Windows 7 (32 bit version), my CPU usage was about 3% even though I was running pages, safari, iTunes, iChat, and stuff like that. But now when I start my MBA with nothing running is about 60% of CPU usage and when I start Parallels and W7 it's using 90% of CPU!

2. I have assigned about 600 MB to run W7, and only I got 200 MB RAM left to run applications, but I have seen decent videos on youtube running videos and apps with a MBA 11.6 with the same 2GB RAM quite decently.

So, if you can tell me how many resources of CPU and RAM, Parallels and W7 takes when you are running them, and I really appreciate your suggestions

Thanks in Advance :apple:

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

1. That shouldn't happen. My idle is less than 5% CPU regardless if I have Parallels running or not. (Virtual Machine idling also)

2. Huh? With 2GB ram, I only dedicated at most 768MB of Ram to the virtual machine and left rest for system. Now I'm at 8GB, I use 2GB for Virtual and rest for system.

3. Ivangf2, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

Ivangf2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ivangf2

Any suggestion to decrease my CPU precentage whether I'm running Parallels or not? I'm using mac os x 10.6.8

I was using the 768 RAM to the virtual machine but I decreased it to 600 MB, because there was not too much RAM for the rest of the system. how much RAM does Parallels + Your Windows 7 take in yours?

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'm not sure why your CPU usage is so high. Look in Activity Monitor to determine which process is causing the high CPU usage.

Back when I had my MacBook Air, it was limited to 2GB ram. I dedicated 768MB to Parallels and rest was left for OS X.

Currently, I'm running 2GB for Parallels and 6GB for OS X.