Your Portable Storage Solution

stewartlittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
So to go with a laptop, I will have to have external storage for safety, incase on drive crashes. Better safe then sorry. So I have been looking at the G-Drive mini, as well as the Western Digital Passport Studio. Both are small, slick looking, and have metal, mbp-like finishes. Does anyone have experience with either of these, or both. Or a better solution. Thanks.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
ZI have a G-Drive mini, works great and has had no issues. Would highly recommend G-Tech.

yoak

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Just bought the WD passport yesterday.
Looks nice, it´s plastic though, not metal. Would maybe got the Rugged Lacie instead, but I had to order that on the net and the WD was in the shop.
I´ve only used WD as externals and I´m very happy with them

stewartlittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Hey Karpfish, how long have you had the g-drive. That thing looks slick, i hope the performance matches. I like the lacie one, just wish it came in other colours then orange.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Don't buy WD. They are typically USB only and not compatible with some computers without a USB power adapter which are not included hard to find.

Been using previous generation of LaCie Little Big Disk for a few years. Capacity up to 1TB, but you need to look into the risk of RAID and see whether it's worth it for you.

Pak^Man

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Columbus, OH
Don't buy WD. They are typically USB only and not compatible with some computers without a USB power adapter which are not included hard to find.

Been using previous generation of LaCie Little Big Disk for a few years. Capacity up to 1TB, but you need to look into the risk of RAID and see whether it's worth it for you.
Actually, no!

The WD passport is available in both a USB version, as well as a Firewire one (which costs a bit more). I have two the USB ones, and would not hesitate to recommend them. And USB power from most USB ports on Desktops as well as Laptops... I have had mine work on Macbooks, MBP, Thinkpads, Dells, and Toshibas.... there are documented issues with certain sony ultraportables and Powerbook G4s... but most other work.

Also, a poster said that the WDs are plastic. those were the older ones that were bulkier and plastic. The current generation comes in both a metal top and a plastic version (Passport essential is metal), and have a robber base to adborb shocks/vibrations and to avoid scratching tabletops.

Having said that I've herad hood things about Lacies and G-Drives.... but be vary of Iomegas and the larger 3.5 inch WD Mybook ones.

stewartlittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I have read that the g-drive is not good for windows at all. Since i would be running osx and windows xp on a mbp or whatever, is this not an option anymore.

stewartlittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I just want a drive thats portable, that i can back up all my work files, and not worry about it crashing