Your PPC External Drive Pics Thread

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lastmile, Jul 25, 2016.

1. lastmile macrumors member

I used to have a EZ Quest external CD drive that came in a load of parts I bought and I'm thinking about picking up a FW400 or FW800 drive in a similar case to match my Quicksilver (that's a link to an old Applefritter.com for sale post, maybe it belonged to someone here).

I've also always liked OWC's clear case for 2.5" drives (comes in various combos of USB2 USB3, FW400, FW800). Its nice that it can be powered over Firewire but I'd like to find a version that can take a 3.5" drive. So far I haven't seen one.

I like the match between the clear plastic on the G4s and both those drive cases. Cases that match the anodized aluminum of the G5 and later Macs are more common.

We have some PPC setup threads, anyone care to contribute to one specifically on external storage?

I don't anything hooked up right now but here's an external RAID that I have used on many older computers. Its U160 SCSI externally but takes four ATA133 drives. Its worked well with ATA->SATA adapters and currently holds 4x 500GB drives. Even when not using the built-in RAID capability, its a nice way to add a lot of extra storage to old systems that can only take SCSI drives.

IMG_0126.JPG IMG_0127.JPG

2. lcdswat macrumors newbie

lcdswat

I think OWC Mercury looks great and very similar to G4 design. There are some models of LaCie and Iomega that also look great.

3. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I have some very old devices:
    [​IMG]

Pairs nicely with a Mac Mini.

Not PowerPC, but I have one of these:
    [​IMG] with my Mac Pro 5,1