Your preference for music on iPhone, Spotify? Buying on iTunes? Pandora?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xystence, Oct 31, 2011.

?

Which Music preference do you use?

1. Purchased on iTunes

14 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Pandora

15 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Slacker

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. Spotify

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
  5. Another Music Service (Name Below)

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. Obtain music by "other" means

21 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. Xystence macrumors regular

Just trying to see what the most popular options are. I am still tinkering with a 30 day trial of Spotify, and already subscribe to Pandora. I like having more direct control of my music then Pandora gives though.

Whats your thoughts?

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

3. Xystence thread starter macrumors regular

I would say I am the same way except almost 99.9% of the time I'm online so it probably would not bother me. I am still debating on what my preference is lol

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Great idea for a thread, as I've been researching this myself the last couple of days. Like you, I've already got Pandora, but there's just not enough control there.

I'm also giving Spotify a go, but I think I'm gonna end up really liking Rhapsody. I'm trying the $9.99 14-day trial and I'm loving it so far. The only downside is that I've noticed they don't have a few of the artists I'd like to find, but being able to go online from my laptop, create playlists, and then have them instantly sync to the app is amazing.

----------

As long as you remain a member of Rhapsody, you can download as much music as you want to your phone for offline play.

5. Xystence thread starter macrumors regular

Have you tried both Spotify and Rhapsody? What are the differences? I have only tried Spotify.

----------

Sounds like what was once the Zune marketplace when I had the first Zune way back when.

6. macfanrutler macrumors regular

macfanrutler

I am currently using Spotify and love it. You can also use it off line if you pay for the premium service which is $9.99 a month.

It seems that they match up really well with what is on iTunes and I can take items that are on my PC (and not on Spotify) and put them into a play list to sync to the app.

I also like the fact that if I am on my Mac at home, my iPhone or my PC at work all the music is the same and right there for me to listen to.

I have never tried Rhapsody so I really can't compare but I really like Spotify.

7. minik macrumors 65816

Right now, I use XM Radio (both in my car head unit and iPhone app), Spotify Premium (desktop, Nokia N8, and iPhone), and iTunes store.

I signed up Spotify back in July and pretty happy with the offering. Although I have a Facebook account, I would never link them together.

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I use spotify premium and download the songs I want for offline listening to my phone. It's also nice to know that if I don't have a song I can always get it and just use the 3G connection.

I've been a spotify subscriber for two months and so far love it.

9. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Pandora. I haven't purchased a song, or downloaded for that matter, for years now. Pretty much ever since Pandora came out, I haven't downloaded any music.

10. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

For the price of Spotify, I could buy like 10 songs a month. And I like knowing that I'll have the songs in the future. I'll have the exact song, to do whatever I want to. What would you do if Spotify flopped one day? All your hard earned money would amount to 0 songs being saved for you afterwards.

11. LoganT macrumors 68020

I've tried services like Rdio, MOG, and Spotify. But the problem I have with them is, I want all of my music in one location. It's hard for me to justify paying 10 dollars a month on those services if I don't find 10 new songs a month I like. I basically only used them for guilty pleasures.

Now I use a Slacker Radio Plus subscription for my guilty pleasure, and use Pandora One and ITunes Genius to find new music.

12. wellok macrumors 6502

I tried Spotify and enjoyed it but found myself listening to the same stuff all the time. Financially it didn't make sense to pay monthly for that so for now I've canceled. I found it more useful on Android where music syncing wasn't such a piece of cake.

13. lionqueen macrumors 6502

I too would like to know the difference between Spotify and Rhapsody. I have Spotify Premium and I love it - there's a few artists not there that I'd like to be there, but they also have some really obscure stuff I never dreamed would be on there, like Get Low Playaz, a local bay area rap group who put out an amazing album in 95 - they never really blew up nationwide but everyone in the bay was playing it in the mid-90s. You can't find their album Straight Out The Labb anywhere, but it's on Spotify, so that was cool :)

If I can't find a song on Spotify I sometimes buy it from Itunes. I also still sometimes use Soulseek, and for artists I really love, I still buy their cds.

14. imotionb18 macrumors member

I've really enjoyed using pandora for the past few years, but I think I'm going to jump ship pretty soon. All of the pop ups and ads have gotten ridiculous.

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I can't really vote since it's not multiple choice. I prefer buying on iTunes and XM radio in my car. I have the Xm Skydock and app for listening in the car and the XM app for listening everywhere else on the iPhone.

16. Stewie macrumors 6502

Stewie

Rhapsody here. I was a happy spotify user until they started forcing all new sign up to go through Facebook. So I took my money and gave to to Rhapsody.

Both had all the songs I was looking for. Spotify probably has a better mobile app, but they don't have a web base front end for the PC. You have to actually install software to use it on your computer.

17. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I haven't had the chance to really get into using Spotify yet, but from reading the posts in this thread about how it works, it sounds like it's EXACTLY like Rhapsody. You can stream from any PC or Mac, use it on your phone, create playlists on your PC and they sync with your phone app (so everything is always in sync), and you can download songs or albums to your phone for offline listening if you like. And if you decide you like something enough to purchase it, it has a button to purchase the song or album in iTunes.

It sounds like you really can't go wrong with either of those services. I think it just comes down to which one you find more appealing. Oh, one of the other reasons I decided to try Rhapsody was because I read that they recently acquired Napster. I don't know how that affects things, but logically it seems that it will help swell their catalog.

----------

I would say these are two reasons that I also decided to try Rhapsody. I like that you can use Rhapsody from any computer with internet access and don't have to download any software to do so.

----------

I have been an avid user of Pandora for the last few years. Especially when I was jailbroken and could install the "skip hack" that would allow you unlimited skips. But I can't stand it without that ability. And the "premium" membership doesn't get you anything other than no ads. You still have skip limits in place. For those reasons, I've stopped using it.

18. tweaks macrumors regular

How many devices does spotify allow you to use one one acct? For premium??

19. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I listen to iTunes all the time and I love Pandora...

20. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Have premium Spotify and like the offline option. If it had the Radio button in the US as it does in Europe, it would be a no-brainer vs. Pandora.

It does help with apps such as SMP or Echofi in navigating and finding new stuff and subscribed playlists.

21. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I use more than one, despite what the poll assumes.

22. lionqueen macrumors 6502

I dont know what the limit is, but i have it on my ipad. Iphone 4s, iphone 4, plus downloaded the pc version, with no probs.

23. driftwoodtea macrumors member

I love Spotify and generally just pick a few albums or playlists to have offline on my iPhone. Gone are the days when I felt it necessary to carry my entire music library around in my pocket.

----------

I'm not so sure there's a limit however I've found that I wasn't able to have it playing in two places at the same time. (Discovered this as I was running it on my MBP while I was playing with it my iPhone!)

24. tweaks macrumors regular

Ahh ok. That is the catch. Cannot play it simultaneously. Sigh. Ok. Thanks for the help.

25. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

I prefer Pandora (with PandoraOne subscription) for more skips and higher quality music. And once I get my iPhone jail broken again, GrooveShark