Your read emails still not syncing between devices?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by eattherich, Sep 20, 2014.

1. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

Hey everyone!

Am I right to think that we have all of these devices yet if we get an email and read it on one of them it doesn't sync that it's read to the others (and remove the badge)? This seems like something that should have been in place for a couple of iOS generations now. It's very much a first-world problem but it's pretty annoying to read an email on your Mac (for example) and then see that on your iPhone or iPad there's still a little 1 badge on the email until it you open the app and let it sync. Does anybody know why this hasn't yet been implemented? It seems like a logical step (using push notifications) to improve user experience across devices.

Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I believe it has to do with battery life. For the phone to stay "awake" like this all the time to monitor for marking messages read would lower battery life. The way it works now is the read status will be updated the next time a new message comes in.

3. eattherich thread starter macrumors 6502

eattherich

Yeah, that kind of makes sense and I can appreciate it but I as far as I know, push notifications don't put a strain on the battery. If I read an email on my Mac then a push notification should be sent to my iOS devices which syncs the mail. I've seen this kind of thing with certain third-party apps where I read a message on one device and it's also changed on another. Seeing as Apple has full control over iCloud here, I thought it would be a nice use of it to keep things in sync the same way contacts and calendars. Anyway, thanks for your reply. :)

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Read syncs depends on the mail servers..... iCloud does not implement syncs until you refresh/open the mail app or another email is received. Outlook.com and other IMAP servers do realtime syncs. Been that way forever. Exchange is the same way.