Your screen is scratched.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hierobryan, Sep 21, 2008.

1. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I've been an iPhone owner since the 1st gen, and this whole time I thought the screen was scratch proof. WRONG!

Today I turned off my iPhone (a rare thing since I usually just reboot) and cleaned my phone to 'like new' status with the buffing cloth. I inspected up close. Guess what I found...a bunch of tiny little scratches...not marks or smudges, but scratches. How can this be? I ALWAYS keep my iPhone in my left pocket all by itself.

What about you guys? Do your screens have tiny scratches?

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Those screens are hardly scratch-proof (hardly anything is) and my iPod touch has a bunch of scratches on its screen as well. My only suggestion is that you get a screen protector to protect your iPhone from any future scratches. But I have no suggestions about how to get rid of them. And they could have been caused by a grain of sand or bumping up against a diamond (if you have any diamond jewelry) or something like that.

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

My iPod Touch Screen is actually Scratchless, and it goes in a pocket with some headphones most of the time.

I Really doubt the iPhone glass being weaker.

4. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

have have rather long two scratches on the screen so it´s not scratch proof at all ...
    but as long as they don´t influence me in using the phone it´s ok.... I have honestly never seen anythig scratch proof in my life ! every watch, phone and everything else scratches when u use it (and I am really careful with my iphone) Like in all those scratch tests and stuff you can probably put the phone in your pocket with your keys and they will not scratch it because they are too big but if you get like a grain of sand or something in you pocket will probably scratch it beause the glass is made to withstand scratcher from most of the big objects but the smaller ones get to the surface

5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Nobody said it was scratch 'PROOF', it is scratch 'RESISTANT'. Two completely different things.

6. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

I did not say that anybody said it was.... but a lot of people seem to think it is ...but I guess that´s just the people (including me) expecting more from apple than from any other company

7. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

I got a 1st gen on iDay, and a 3G on that's iDay, neither of which have scratches on their screens, I just made sure there was no other items in the pocket the phone was in.

I think if you go by that rule your generally ok, it's obviously going to get scratched if you put it in a closed space with your keys etc to rub up against it.

It's pure common sense people.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You're not talking about real scratches, like the kind left behind when something sharp rubs up against the screen, but rather those teeny tiny little hairline marks you see reflected under certain light correct? Those come from rough fabric over time believe it or not. If there is any grit of any kind in your pocket, that likely contributes to it. The polishing cloth that comes with your iphone is made up of microfiber and is specially designed not to leave those marks. Unless your pocket is made of the same material--you'll eventually get those hairline marks. You probably can't even see them most of the time and this would be considered normal wear and tear.

I've got my iphone cased with a screen protector but even this doesn't protect it fully. In the case there is an opening so that you can plug in the syncing cable without removing it from the the case. My phone went in my pocket along with my keys(why I got a case, so I didn't have to constantly baby it). One of the keys actually collided with that opening and went in underneath it and made a hairline scratch on the chrome.

My point? You can't win. lol

9. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Where was your screen protector?

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I put a nick in a first gen screen with a diamond stud earring. :eek:

11. Tvp125 macrumors newbie

Got my white 16gb launch week and it does not have a single scratch on the front glass and i do not use a case or a screen protector

12. crazydrumma macrumors regular

I would always go with a screen protector. It doesn't change ANYTHING about the look of the iphone, it just adds more protection. Some people complain that after a month or so they begin to peel off. Well, since they're like 2 bucks each I would think "Just get a new one, it's 2 bucks, and it keeps the screen looking great!"

no brainer imo :D

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats the thinking i never understand? What would they honestly use thats scratchPROOF? I cant think of anything that wouldnt either drive prices WAY up, be way too thick, or it wouldnt be capacitve (therefore no touch screen).

Apple doesnt do breakthroughs, they just implement them

15. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

funny how the public perception has changed i got slammed when i posted somewhere that my touch got scratched when my dog stood on the screen

16. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

but it is one of the most sratch resistant surfaces I´ve owned yet ..! so it´s all good :) I´m still very happy with my phone especially when i got over the first scratch ... :) (for a week or so I tried a screen protector but that one go so scratched up after a week that I wanted to enjoy the full buty of my screen again :) ) Even though I treat my iphone very well i still want to use it ... and things you carry around everyday are likely to get scratched somewhere on the way :)

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

This is why I use one of those clear screen protectors. Can't tell at all that its on, and if it gets scuffed, I just replace it. The screen on my Launch Day original iPhone is perfect.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, screen protector does the trick. Haven't gone more than three days without one. Looked kinda' funny with a zagg bag on the 3G iPhone and taking it out every time I made a call, TM, or checked email...:p

19. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

the way i see it, it's pretty much inevitable that a device like the iPhone is going to get scratched, or cracked, or something. i've been trying to keep my OCD in check and it's really enabled me to enjoy my 3G a lot more when i'm not treating it like a baby.

20. PatrickRS macrumors member

When I took my days-old iPhone to the local Apple Store, the salesgirl told me I didn't need a screen protector because the screen was glass, so it wouldn't scatch.

I just smiled and bought a screen protector.