Your Smart Playlists

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DJAKO, Apr 18, 2008.

1. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

I recently re-uploaded a lot of my songs on higher bit-rates and am unable now to fit my entire music collection on my iPod Nano. Whereas prior to this, I could easily fit my small collection of roughly 1,700 songs on it.

I now find myself having to create better smart playlists keep the songs on my iPod I like. I used to have the simple smart playlists like most played, etc.

I'm now creating smart playlists that look for songs within the last two months that have play counts higher than X and skip counts lower than X to keep my music fresh. That's just an example of one of them.

So I ask you guys, what are you doing to keep the songs you want on your iPod when your collection is too large; other than the obvious of checking the boxes of the songs you want.

Hope this made sense haha.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I use AutoRate to take care of my ratings. So I don't have to worry anymore about keeping the ratings up to date.

3. scr1968 macrumors regular

I do thinks along the same line as you do.

I also use the rating system but in a way it really wasn't designed for. I have a iPod Video in my car and my wife has an iPod Nano in her car. Needless to say we don't have the same music tastes but there are some songs we both like. So I mark the songs that she likes a "1" star and the songs that I like as "5" stars. Songs that we both like I mark as "3" stars. Then I make smart playlists that I can use to populate our iPods. Since mine holds a lot more music that her's and much of it doesn't have any stars at all - there is an opportunity for her to hear a song that she didn't know she liked. I can quickly hit the middle button and "tag" it with a "1" or "3" star and then the next time I sync up my iPod and her iPod, that song will be transfered to her iPod.

SCR

4. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sounds pretty useful for you guys. Thanks for the comment

I'll look into that autorate too. Thanks

5. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

When I used to use my old 512MB Shuffle I had a 'Less than 2 times played' smart list. The Ipod would randomly take songs, and as time progressed new stuff would thrust upon me lobes.

These days I have a 16GB iPod Touch. I guess I like randomness, because now I have a 12GB random list that's generated and copied to the Touch. I fill the rest of the space up with a season of something (Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother or Two and a Half Men), a movie or two and some piccies.

6. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hate to bump this thread, but does anyone else have any other ideas or suggestions for good smart playlists? I know somebody probably got a unique one to keep their favorite music unique and fresh every time they sync their iPod.