"Your SMS mailbox is full"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikeymike88, Oct 27, 2010.

1. mikeymike88 macrumors member

Hey guys, has anyone ever gotten this message on your iPhone?

"Your SMS mailbox is full. New messages cannot be received until you delete some messages".

After I got this I had to manually delete some messages before any more would come through. Do you know what the SMS mailbox limit for messages is? Or if there is an easy way for me to delete older messages from conversations? I like to keep most text conversations for various reasons, but wouldn't mind just deleting older messages. Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. Grimes macrumors regular

Wow... you must have a lot of messages! I didn't know there was a limit. :eek:

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This limit has been discussed before (use MRoogle to search next time). It came out with 4.0 and the current limit is 90,000 messages I think.

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

I haven't seen that message in years. Of course back then the limit was only 1,000 messages. I vaguely remember hearing they raised it back then to 75,000 and it is possible they have changed it again since then.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

what is so important that you have to keep that many messages. Talk about electronic clutter. If it's that important - email the msg to yourself or copy/paste them into a larger document...

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

So your the reason why texting is not included with the iPhone plan by default. :p

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Or use a program like PhoneView. One of the useful things it does is archive both SMS and voicemail onto your computer every time you plug the phone in.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The limit is indeed 75,000 messages, starting with iOS 1.1.3:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1498

Not so much that it's important, but I can see where the OP is coming from. I don't really manage my text messages either... they just kinda keep scrolling up. I haven't hit the limit yet, but I imagine I will eventually, and that point I'll start clearing stuff out.

And, sometimes it IS kinda nice to have an archive of text conversations.

9. chembox macrumors 6502a

It is very nice to have the context of previous conversations.

However, I wish there was a way to block unwanted access to viewing the Messages app.

10. slayer41 macrumors newbie

....passcode?

11. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

does every post you make have a Google it reference?

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The irony is that when you DO use Mroogle to search "iPhone SMS limit," you don't easily get the answer. It's filled with lots of other stuff though, including threads filled with suggestions to "Mroogle it."

The fact that certain users insist on answering every thread with "you can find the answer on Mroogle" is actually making Mroogle less effective. since the results are choked with "Mroogle it" responses. Catch-22 anyone?

So yeah, it's often better to just answer the question. Less effort, less noise.

Passcode locks, honest relationships and non-jealous significant others go a long way. :)

13. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I have a number of text messages from my sister who passed away last June... That's important enough...

14. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Understood and agreed--but then the point of having them seperate from a SQL db backup and accessible on the computer too becomes even more vital, doesn't it? Wish there was an easy, built in way to do that from the iPhone. I was pleased to find out PhoneView did it since I already had that program, but still, you'd think that kind of functionality would be part of the OS...

My condolences on your loss.

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Some people were just born to be policemen. Some not.