Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacdem

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
I am running SL 10.6.3 and I cannot update any apple softwares. Software updater just keep showing "Software Update doesn’t have any new software for your computer at this time" but I know it is not true because I did a fresh install of ilife and iwork 09. After googling I found some hints but any didn't help.
- deleting some files in library caches and software update folder
- resetting the PRAM
- I used appfresh to check also. It shows no update for system software.
- I installed leopard in a harddrive but it is the same things.

I am wondering about what is happening. Is my ISP blocking me to use software updater? Is Apple update servers down?
I will appreciate your help. Thanks

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Software updater just keep showing "Software Update doesn’t have any new software for your computer at this time" but I know it is not true because I did a fresh install of ilife and iwork 09.

Ok, and how does that prove SU is wrong? Fresh installs from the latest and greatest would mean there are no further updates yet.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Ok, and how does that prove SU is wrong? Fresh installs from the latest and greatest would mean there are no further updates yet.

Actually, the boxed copies of the software are almost never up-to-date.

To the OP, did you make sure you deleted the receipts for the updates that may have been done before the "fresh" install? We have no way of knowing how you did that, but I'm guessing maybe the system still thinks the newer versions are installed because of a missed receipt or two.

jW

jacdem

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
this is a clean install of SL and all the softwares. I am really upset by this problem. I am asking myself if I shouldn't give up and install windows or linux. Apple sometimes....

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Actually, the boxed copies of the software are almost never up-to-date.

OP did not indicate the source of the installed versions.

OP, "all the softwares" is not descriptive at all. If that's all the patience you have, then yes, you should give up. 99.9% of computer problems, especially for the inexperienced, are caused by the user. You just have to learn how to and how not to do things.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Go to Apple's website and find out what the most current version of iLife et al are.. and then open and compare on your Mac. Are they the same? Are the different?

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
this is a clean install of SL and all the softwares. I am really upset by this problem. I am asking myself if I shouldn't give up and install windows or linux. Apple sometimes....

Did you install your software before updating Snow Leopard to 10.6.3 (unless you have a brand new MBP then it would have been on 10.6 or 10.6.2 from the clean install). If so, it most likely updated iLife and iWork at the same time.

jacdem

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
I have installed SL and updated before installing the softwares. When I open itunes it asks me to update. I click ok and software updater starts and It shows" your software is up to date".
I have been trying to fix since 3 days that is why I am asking here. I didn't nothing to my mac. I must say that this is my 5th mac laptop and I have never get to such a problem

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Quit Software Update.

Go to /Library/Perferences/ and delete com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

Open Software Update.

Does it work now?

You will see this if your Software Updater is pointing at a different SUS server, for example, a 10.5.8 Mac OS X Server running a SUS won't update for 10.6.x clients (without hacking), which is just stupid.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Go to /Library/Perferences/ and delete com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

There's also a Library Folder in your Home Folder. If the other one doesn't fix it, try that one next.

I recommend moving the plist to your Desktop, then starting up Software Update. You can put the original plist back if the problem isn't fixed. You will lose the record of your updates if you delete it. No big deal really, just FYI. And, if that's the problem, the loss is inevitable. But, if it's not, you can preserve that.

jacdem

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Thanks all for your help. I did all that you said but still the same problem. :mad:

jacdem

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
yes I did but I don't want to update manually because I have many applications to update and I don't know all the updates that I need.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
yes I did but I don't want to update manually because I have many applications to update and I don't know all the updates that I need.

You are not being asked to update manually, just to compare the version numbers of your software. This will assure you that your software is indeed up to date..or show you that there is indeed an issue.

At this point, you are just assuming...but your software may very well BE at the latest versions.

Telling us the version differences may help us solve your problem.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
What makes you think you need to update? You've been a bit vague.

Open each app in question, click "About this Application" in Apple menu. Post all the version #'s here...someone will let you know if you have the latest verions.

mynewage

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
i have a same problem

for an example my safari version is 4.0.5 last week i can see the update but now i can't see it..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.