Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you sign away your soul for an otherwise free iPhone?

• Yes, would get the phone.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • No, would not do it.

Votes: 43 81.1%
  • Maybe, depends on the specs.

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Just a hypothetical question for fun :D:

Suppose the latest iPhone was revealed and when it came to the price Tim Cook, completely seriously, said that it would not cost a single cent but you would have to sign a contract saying that Apple owns your immortal soul...

No tricks. No legal fine print. No conditions. No hidden costs. Just a paper saying that Apple owns your soul, and the phone is completely yours. Limited 1 per customer since you can't pay your soul more than once.

Would you do it?

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Will Apple be gentle with said soul?

If it's a commitment to go downstairs then heck no. Now... if I get to play with new Apple products for eternity...

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Will Apple be gentle with said soul?

If it's a commitment to go downstairs then heck no. Now... if I get to play with new Apple products for eternity...

You're given no further information other than that the paper you sign says Apple will "own your soul".

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
You're given no further information other than that the paper you sign says Apple will "own your soul".

Will try for heaven first and then use the Apple-soul deal as a "get out of jail free" card if the first option's a no-go.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
For further context, whether it's actually possible to sign your soul away and whether souls even exist, and all the religious and philosophical implications are entirely up to you and your own beliefs. As far as I know, there is no legal definition of a "soul". Apple will have no legal power over you, your body, your possessions, etc. All you know is that Apple will give you a free phone if you sign an ordinary piece of paper with an ordinary pen that says your soul is theirs now.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Apple would never do that since they would be getting ripped off lol

I’d sign but I’d like one of every Apple products every other year :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just a hypothetical question for fun :D:

Suppose the latest iPhone was revealed and when it came to the price Tim Cook, completely seriously, said that it would not cost a single cent but you would have to sign a contract saying that Apple owns your immortal soul...

No tricks. No legal fine print. No conditions. No hidden costs. Just a paper saying that Apple owns your soul, and the phone is completely yours. Limited 1 per customer since you can't pay your soul more than once.

Would you do it?
Is this really a hypothetical considering some of the Apple fanatics already out there?

Seriously though, when it comes to free, it's never the actual specific item or model I want, so…no.
[doublepost=1565560961][/doublepost]
a new iPhone is more important than life itself. Of course I'd sell my soul for a 2019 iPhone. Totally worth it.
Right on.

And in 20 or 30 years that 2019 iPhone is long gone but Apple still has your soul.

Good deal huh?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Not sure if those who voted yes have done so for a laugh or are serious....?!

I would expect most people to say yes. For one, many don't believe in an immortal soul to begin with, ans even out of those who do, how many believe that you can simply give it way by signing a piece of paper? From a purely logical standpoint there's no way you're losing anything in this deal...

Unless Apple knows something that the rest of us don't, and you'd have to figure they must if they're willing to give up potentially billions of dollars for something with no apparent value.

That's what would make me hesitate. Either all of Apples executives and top share holders and such would need to have gone entirely insane, or they somehow know that they're getting something more valuable than money.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I would expect most people to say yes. For one, many don't believe in an immortal soul to begin with, ans even out of those who do, how many believe that you can simply give it way by signing a piece of paper? From a purely logical standpoint there's no way you're losing anything in this deal...

Unless Apple knows something that the rest of us don't, and you'd have to figure they must if they're willing to give up potentially billions of dollars for something with no apparent value.

That's what would make me hesitate. Either all of Apples executives and top share holders and such would need to have gone entirely insane, or they somehow know that they're getting something more valuable than money.
I think you’re the insane one here :p

Reactions: apolloa

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I don’t think I would do it. What would I do the following year???

Improve this deal to a new iPhone every year and we’ll talk.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Well here’s something you didn’t think off, firstly MANY people believe in the soul, like billions. Because they have faith and believe in religion..

And secondly, Apple could argue in a court once your dead they owned your life and everything in it as they owned your soul... ergo they take everything.

It’s an interesting question to throw out there, but one I don’t think you have thought through enough to argue about.

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Well here’s something you didn’t think off, firstly MANY people believe in the soul, like billions. Because they have faith and believe in religion..

And secondly, Apple could argue in a court once your dead they owned your life and everything in it as they owned your soul... ergo they take everything.

It’s an interesting question to throw out there, but one I don’t think you have thought through enough to argue about.

I mentioned above, there is no legal loophole. In this scenario claiming ownership of your "soul" does not give Apple rights to your physical body nor any of your physical possessions, assets, or rights, as no legal document defines any of that as being connected to a "soul".

The only tangible thing that Apple gets is the paper you signed...

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I mentioned above, there is no legal loophole. In this scenario claiming ownership of your "soul" does not give Apple rights to your physical body nor any of your physical possessions, assets, or rights, as no legal document defines any of that as being connected to a "soul".

The only tangible thing that Apple gets is the paper you signed...

Hmm seems a pointless question to ask then? Apart from religious people that believe in souls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.