Your SSD - was it worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moral-hazard, Aug 11, 2009.

1. moral-hazard macrumors regular

I'm wondering, among the SSD owners, whether or not the cost was worth it. I spoke to a friend who has a 60GB vertex and he seems to say that it is 100%. I think in my case it almost might not be though - I'm a software developer, so most of my work is not graphics-intensive. I do like my computer to be fast though, and have noticed the MBP lagging behind a little on occasion. As for the capacity issue, I don't care TOO much - 60+GB would be fine. The laptop is more or less used for work and school, and I have gigabit ethernet all over so if I need to stream HD movies at home it's not a big deal at all.

I've been debating buying one of the low-end SSD's (MLC, either intel, ocz vertex, or corsair), for around $200. The hard drives I was looking at were in the $90 range (probably 500GB caviar blue), so $200 isn't totally unreasonable if I go the SSD route.

Here's the drives I was looking at:

These seem to be the better quality models available at the $200 price point, with *decent* capacity and from what I hear they have good controllers, no stuttering issues, etc.

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

The Intel is getting very popular now. I believe there was a recent update on it relating to cost and power.

I don't own one myself, as I need Large storage space (320GB Drive is sufficient for me), and I don't see the point in paying so much on a 256GB SSD, not worth it to me.

What you will mainly see is applications opening faster, faster boot times. Thats about it as far as I know.

There are alot of people whom use SSD's on here, so I hope you get many replies.
    :apple:

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

my intel ssd is amazing,

loads virtual machines up and i can use the os smooth as silk without a hitch,

by far the best upgrade ever.....

4. pnyc macrumors 6502

I'm very happy with my Vertex. The only downside I can think of is that using computers with HDs gets really annoying after getting used to the SSD.

5. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

For the first time I can't click faster than the apps load.

6. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

I can imagine it being incredibly useful. Unfortunately I need large amounts of HD space and obviously an SSD of adequate size would cost an incredible sum of money. As it is, I'm not sure the boost in performance is justifiable.

However, as the technology matures and they become more of a mass market product, the prices and capacities will obviously decrease and increase respectively and then it will be more justifiable.

7. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the notes -

I will be using more virtual machines during the year. I maintain VM's for ubuntu, XP, and may possible do others like win 7 as the year goes on.

I do alot of web development, and testing on safari, firefox, and IE is important, so VM's are a must for me.

I'm still on the fence, but it looks like SSD's may be taking some major price cuts soon (since intel is releasing new stuff which is faster/mroe affordable). Maybe at that point Ill get one of the somewhat older ones.

Till then I may grab a WD Blue 500. Then once I get the SSD i can use that in an opti-Bay for storage. I already have an external DVD drive.

8. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Vertex is sensational.

Once you got SSD, you simply can't go back to a regular HD ever again.

It's the single best upgrade I've ever done to any computer I've ever owned.

9. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Yes.

1) No moving parts, less chance of failure.
    2) Faster.

You pay for what you get.

10. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Amen. I'm getting my new 13 MBP on Friday, and I've already ordered one of the new Intel X-25's just so I can swap it out ASAP, I can't stand to use computers with crappy mechanical harddrives in them anymore!

Andrew

11. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

My virtual machines run so much better on the SSD...and overall system performance is amazing!

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

At this point with my MB Air I can't see me opening it and installing an SSD ... unless someone I know wants to do it for me. But day by day the SSD becomes more and more appealing to me.
    I'd say they're slowly becoming more worth it.

13. antskip macrumors regular

I replaced my 160GB (12MB cache) 7200rpm HDD by a OCZ Summit 120 GB (120MB cache with Samsung controller) SSD. Totally happy. As others have said, there is no upgrade to match a good SSD. Programs open almost instantaneously, there is no noise from the storage media, and the system fans almost never come on, creating a totally silent computing environment.:):D

14. norsemen macrumors regular

What difference does a SSD do for your MBP?

I ran X-Bench on a MBP 13 2.53 & 4 GB RAM before and after installing the new Intel X-25M G2.

With the stock HD (5400 rpm) it got a x-bench score of 138.84.
    Intel X-25M G2 upped it to 216.74.

Now that doesn´t tell the whole truth, cause what´s important is real life experience.

It boots in 15 seconds. Apps launch in less than a second for most. Word takes a whole 2 seconds to launch.

The machine is cool, very quiet. And the battery improves by about 25 minutes.

This is the biggest upgrade I have ever done on a machine. Intel X-25 M G2 comes highly recommened.

15. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

The Intel seems like its worth it - it's the "gold standard" of SSDs from what I hear, and is not *terribly* overpriced anymore. Newegg doesn't have the G2 in stock right now, but it looks like the 80GB is only $229. If I was already spending $205+ for the other ones, I would think the Intel is worth it - it has more capacity than the others I was looking at, and it sounds like the technology is top notch.

16. antskip macrumors regular

There are many excellent SSD's available, not just from Intel, and they come in a wide variety of sizes - some bigger than Intel options. For all the comparative numbers, if the SSD transforms the computer to a silent, instantaneous rocket, what difference does it make which SSD you use, other than the specific size and price? From a HDD to most SDD's there is a tremendous difference in everything you do on a computer. It is very doubtful whether you will notice such a difference amongst modern SSD's. That doesn't mean there are not measurable and, in to some people, in some operations, differences that could be noticed, just as there are for HDD's. But this awesome genre is not just Intel.

17. og1 macrumors regular

Yes its worth it. The boot to ready times are rediculous fast. Apps load fully mid bounce now instead of 2-3. was moving some files around put my old drive back in to get some stuff off it and couldnt believe how much slower it was.

18. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

absolutly. i have 3 different, intel 160gb, ocz vertex 250 & ultradrive me 256gb.

19. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I'm more interested in battery life.

For all you Intel users, what has it done to your battery life?

20. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

on idle i just got 8.30 with 100% batteryload.

21. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

I was referring to the three that I picked out - the OCZ vertex, the corsair extreme, and the intel. Yes i'm sure theyre all fast, but it sounds like the intel is a better deal among those three drives. Theyre all within $20-30 of each other but the intel offers 80GB whereas the other two i looked at were 60 and 64.

22. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

The same Intel 80GB was $369 two weeks ago. The 160GB was $600+.

23. bry223 macrumors regular

The intel price must've just been lowered, I got the Gskill Falcon 64gb for $200, its a bit cheaper, but the write times are superior to the intel's, and I get about 230mb/s read and it's advertised at 250 wich is great. (since you dont really get the full read times that's advertised)

24. sbb155 macrumors 6502

I have the apple OEM ssd, ordered on a new MBP.
    It is so fast, and it is supposed to be one of the slower ssds!
    i can highly recc this upgrade, but i also must say that the prices will plummet over the next year i believe

25. norsemen macrumors regular

All well and done, but in real life sequential read/write speed are not as important as random read/write speed.

And the X25-M G2's true strength: random write performance. Once again, Intel are faster than the X25-E and nearly 40% faster than the X25-M G1. None of the Indilinx or Samsung drives can touch Intel here.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3607&p=4