"Your Startup Disk is Almost Full"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mojopixel, Jan 4, 2010.

1. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Hi,

I wonder if you can help? I've suddenly been getting a pop up message that reads "Your startup disk is almost full - you need to make more space available on your start up disk by deleting files"

My hard disk is 320 GB & I've only used 111 GB so far so why is this message popping up & what can I do about it without deleting my precious files? :confused:

thanks for your help,

mp

2. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Do you have multiple partitions on that drive? How much free space is being reported? Have you ran Disk Utility to verify and/or repair the disk?

3. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

No, just the 1 partition & my I have approx. 111 GB of free space! How do I run Disk Utility?

thanks,

mp

4. Mac1212 macrumors member

Well you can just go to spotlight and search for "Disk Utility" or its Application --> Utility --> Disk Utility

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, but yeah. Disk Utility is the place to start.

6. Mac1212 macrumors member

sorry, im from norway, so i just tried to translate the best i could, but i think he got the idea

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

8. makinao macrumors regular

This happened to me recently. I couldn't find a file that suddenly occupied 80gigs of my 160gig HD. I downloaded the freeware app Grand Perspective, which gives a visual image of a HD. Sure enough, I found a suspiciously gigantic 80gig temp file. Deleted it and everything went back to normal.

9. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

While the problem could well be caches, the "__GB Available" number reported by the Finder should include these as well as any other invisible file--depending on your permissions you may not see the file or have its size reported by Get Info, but free should be visible and correct for all users of the system. There can be a delay in updating available free space, though, so maybe that's what's going on here.

A restart would confirm for certain that the "Available" space reported is up-to-date. It would also remove swap files, which should never get anywhere near 100GB, but can account for a decent-sized chunk of "invisible" used space.

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ja? Hvor commer du fra? (Jeg studerer norsk nå.)

Also, I didn't know that directory names changed depending on language settings. That must be awfully hard for application developers...

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

Probably not; they don't actually change, the Finder (and open/save dialogues) just translates them into the primary language it's set for when it displays them.

It changes pretty much all the standard top-level and home folders--Applications, Users, System, Library, Shared, Pictures, Movies, Download, Desktop, Documents, Sites, Public, and Drop Box. They of course appear correctly (with "correctly" being defined as what the actual directory path is, which happens to be what you see in English) if you use the terminal or something else that provides unfiltered access to the filesystem.

13. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

I've cleaned out my caches but...

...now I have a new problem! My hard disk was 320GB before I cleaned the cache; now it is showing the hard disk to have a TOTAL capacity of 111.35GB....WTF??? & I have approx 1.27 GB of free space left! :eek:

Does anyone know how I can restore the actual capacity of my hard drive to its original 320GB?

thanks,

mp :confused:

14. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

15. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Yep, tried that, it doesn't change anything but thanks anyway!