Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VisionaryZS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Hi everyone. This is my second post today. I was a little alarmed to see that I received a warning that my startup disk is nearly full, when I got the computer a few days ago. I have some large video files, but deleted some unnecessary ones, and threw them in the trash, and emptied it. Ditto downloads folder. I just don't get it, I just got the computer. While I have been downloading some software and getting ripping some video files for some editing purposes, I haven't been downloading close to 50 gigs yet. What could possibly be going on?
----------

EDIT:
Weird, now it looks like everything's normal.
It says I have 425.24 GB,
which makes a little more sense. Even though it's new, I have a few very large video files on here. Does anybody know why I could have got this warning?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Check time machine settings

Check time machine settings to see if you are creating a lot of disk images also check for any loaded iphone, ipad back ups failing that a trip to the apple store may be in order.

sabbyp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2013
maybe you're ripping those videos at an insane compression rate? check the settings in whatever application you're using to do that

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi everyone. This is my second post today. I was a little alarmed to see that I received a warning that my startup disk is nearly full, when I got the computer a few days ago. I have some large video files, but deleted some unnecessary ones, and threw them in the trash, and emptied it. Ditto downloads folder. I just don't get it, I just got the computer. While I have been downloading some software and getting ripping some video files for some editing purposes, I haven't been downloading close to 50 gigs yet. What could possibly be going on?
----------

EDIT:
which makes a little more sense. Even though it's new, I have a few very large video files on here. Does anybody know why I could have got this warning?

It sounds like you are using Time Machine for backups? If you are, what you are seeing is totally normal.

With Time Machine on deleted files (even after you empty trash) are not really deleted, but they go into a hidden folder where you can restore then if you like. This is called local snapshots and you can read about it here.

When you disk starts to get full like yours did, the OS will start to prune off some of those hidden backups to free up disk space.

That is what your disk first looked full, then the space magically freed up.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
----------

EDIT:

go to apple>about this mac>storage and take a look at what is using the most space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.