Your thoughts about the next iPhone having "Wifi Calling"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tito Georgie, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

You guys think it will have it ?

I hope it does, I wish to have phone calls as clear as Skype iPhone to iPhone calls. :)

2. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

you mean to have something like iMessage but for calling ?

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This feature is not in any of the betas, so no I don't think this feature is coming (anytime soon).

4. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

yeah i was thinking about that.But im sure they will put wifi calling like they did with the iMessage and Facetime .Imagine the app iCall you'll be able to call e-mails

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

This feature would be AWESOME! Too bad that none of the domestic iPhone carriers have implemented the UMA service at all yet. Only T-Mobile and Cincinnati Bell. That's the one thing I really miss about my CincyBell Blackberry.

I think Android implemented this in the release before last, but it's limited by carrier implementation too.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Why is the carrier involved if its over WiFi? (not asking you directly, just thinking out lot).

This would be the same as FaceTime or iMessages, the carrier has no business getting involved.

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Carriers wouldn't go for this if it was all-Apple because it would decrease calling plan spending. The UMA service is the implementation that is basically a built in Microcell that creates a connection to the carrier network through wifi and routes calls that way.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. al1cre macrumors member

Ok...Please forgive me because I'm not trying to start another Android thing, but my old G2 had it out of the box and T-Mobile was fine with it.

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It's not an Android thing at all :). Blackberry and non-smartphone Motorollas have it too, and have had it for a long time. It's because T-Mobile was smart (CincyBell too) and realized that building a server infrastructure to support this was a great way to handle network clogging by routing bandwidth through the internet instead of through tower connections. It just so happens that the two US iPhone carriers haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet. <Which surprises me, especially with the bad publicity of AT&T signal issues.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think Tmobile was the only carrier that allowed that, Im not sure how it worked but they had that option available for some other phones too right?
    That's great to have but I dont see the 2 big carriers Verizon or AT&T trying to even think about something like that.

12. Tito Georgie thread starter macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

Intesting, something new. Never knew it had to do with the carrier.

13. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

I have google voice on my iPhone. I can make and receive phone calls, have voicemail, the works.... for free. It's works over wifi or 3G. I hear they don't have it in the app store anymore. that's a shame.