Your Thoughts for Fitness & Sport

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bwfc0907, Oct 6, 2015.

1. bwfc0907 macrumors regular

I've been contemplating an iwatch. I welcome your thoughts based on fitness for gym work & football (soccer).

1. Which watch has the best surface for sport to prevent scratches.
    2. How well does the watch work without the iPhone for sports such as football (soccer) and the gym.
    3. How accurate is the heart sensor, I have an ailment connected to the heart, can it pick up irregular beats?
    4. Can you use Apple Music on the watch without the iPhone?
    5. General thoughts on the watch for fitness measurement.

Cheers

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

1. Sapphire is more scratch resistant but slightly more brittle
    2. OK
    3. Can be very accurate as a consumer fitness HR monitor, NOT a medical device
    4. Yes with BT headphones
    5. Great for general/overall fitness monitoring

3. exxxviii, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015

exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

This is a very interesting scenario. There are a few folks who found apps for lifting, so I will leave those sections alone.

1. Prevent scratches - I would get an SS watch. Neither are very rugged, but if the scratches are light enough, you can polish them out on the SS.

2. Sport without iPhone - It would track activity fine and sync with the watch later.

3. HR accuracy - The HR sensor is very accurate in my experience. It is within 1 BPM of my chest strap sensor. I doubt it (or any other comparable device) would detect and report an irregular HR. I have never seen that promoted in any of the sport sensor devices on the market.

5. General thoughts - The AW does a good job of capturing the same steps and HR data as any comparable activity tracker when it is in a workout mode. But, it has poor tools for showing you what you did after the fact. This is where devices like Fitbit and Garmin excel. Say you played a football match and you wanted to see a chart of your step and HR data overlayed. That is virtually impossible with an AW, but it is easy with Garmin or FB.

4. bwfc0907 thread starter macrumors regular

Is this something likely to be improved on by Apple with better software?

5. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Yes, if Apple or a 3rd party writes an app for this. The data are there, but there is just no tool to display it in a helpful way.