Your thoughts, my first commercial-like website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by actingbiz1, Jul 4, 2009.

1. actingbiz1 macrumors member

actingbiz1

I'm starting a small film business in Philadelphia, PA. And I made a small website using Dreamweaver. It's nothing huge, but I'm looking for some extra hints or tips anyone could pass along. I'm not very skilled in coding, so.... go easy on me :D

http://www.dynamicfilms.net

And, if anyone like to talk about film, or movies, we have forums set up
    forums.dynamicfilms.net
    the forums is no big deal, i'm using invision power board.

My biggest thing is that I am trying to find a good free CMS that allows uploading and management of video. I have word-press but I haven't fully figured it out yet.

Thanks.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

my thoughts

pros:
    good layout

what stuck out at me:
    The word in the film took me a second to read. id do away with the reflection
    id stick with a color scheme of blue-grey-red....the green and yellow seem out of place

just my thoughts so take them as you will

3. actingbiz1 thread starter macrumors member

actingbiz1

Yea that reflection was something I was a little iffy on. I like it, I may modify it to make it easier to read.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There are some inconsistencies in the layout, for example the yellow Contact box and the green Info box in the bottom right. Why do they only have one corner rounded? And the left-hand column, why does the gray run all the way down the page?

I also think that not enough attention is drawn to the content of the "blog" type thing in the middle column. When I look at your page the first thing I see is the logo, then the two outer columns, and then the middle column.

5. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

It is functional, but looks like a template and really doesn't look like it has anything at all to do with movies aside from the film banner.

Really it needs a deign that's a lot less "laid out" in columns and rows and more fun and colorful while still staying professional. This just looks like a template.

6. actingbiz1 thread starter macrumors member

actingbiz1

Well....... it is a template that I redesigned.
    I'm trying to think of other looks that would be good, but I keep coming up short. I have a hard time designing websites, so hopefully one of my friends can help me redesign it.
    I am thinking about somehow replacing the side bars with sprockets from film... But I am also trying to stray away from the cheesey film look. I want it to say Unique (Oxymoronic since I used a template), and professional.

Thanks for your inputs so far!

7. Mac SK macrumors member

Now we are getting somewhere. Not this meaning less mirco stuff. What a site is really about at its core.

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Server down?

Attached Files:

9. actingbiz1 thread starter macrumors member

actingbiz1

Was doing some server maintenance. It's working now.

10. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

You have the name of the site up top, with a logo, then again right below it..in a larger banner.

Seems redundant to me.

11. actingbiz1 thread starter macrumors member

actingbiz1

That was another thing I was iffy on. I just changed that

12. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I have to say I think the others are right - you need to approach this from a different angle. A site for Dynamic Films should feel dynamic and be styled so that it appears about films.

You say you're not hot on code. Have you considered getting a WordPress theme developer / designer to build one for you? If you're starting a business, it would be good to start off doing things 'right'.

WordPress is a great CMS / blogging platform and with a plug-in can easily include videos. it's usually easiest to upload to youtube or similar service and then embed the in your page.

13. actingbiz1 thread starter macrumors member

actingbiz1

I am using wordpress, but I'm working on modifying it to have it replace the home page.

My problem is that I want a plugin, free plugin, for worpress that allows me to upload videos and have it on its own dedicated page, rather than an imbed from youtube...