Your Thoughts on Aperture 3?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joonbug, May 12, 2011.

1. joonbug macrumors newbie

joonbug

I'm a guy who wants to do super basic photo editing, and I wanted to know your thoughts on Aperture 3, I downloaded the 30 day free trial and so far I'm very underwhelmed, and I especially don't like the fact I can't type or add characters on this app.

any thoughts? Or should I stick with Pinta?

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

Aperture doesn't really do anything but very basic photo editing, it's more a photo organizer. So as you say 'super basic' it's great. For $79 I think it's a steal. (I paid a lot more)

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Up until I switched to Mac a year ago, I used Photoshop for everything. I've since changed up my workflow to where I do about 95% of my editing in Aperture, and use Photoshop for any difficult issues or special effects. Aperture's RAW processing engine is excellent (IMHO, on par with Photoshop's).

I shoot semi-pro, so I need the library functions of Aperture, and also the special effects capabilities of Photoshop CS5.

If you're looking for something to add type or other effects, you might want to look at Photoshop Elements.

4. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I switched from iPhoto to Aperture back when it debuted on the App store for $79.00. Since then I've not had a whole lot of time to play with it so I'm having a little trouble making the transition. Probably once I get a little more used to where things are I'll feel more comfortable. As in "Bending Pixels" example, I find it to be a capable program for most of the basic fixes I need to make to photos and save Photoshop for the really challenging stuff.