Your thoughts on cell phones causing cancer.

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by sotorious, Jun 7, 2011.

1. sotorious macrumors 6502a

Hard to tell if its a load of crap. A large part of me says it is.

2. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Wrong forum or not, here is my reply :)

First link, where University of Maryland Physics Professor BOb Park relates a conversation he repeatedly has.

Caller: do you use a wired earphone?
    BP: No.
    Caller: would it be too much trouble?
    Caller: Wouldnt you be safer?
    Caller: How do you know?
    BP: Quantum physics; all cancers are caused by mutant strands of DNA. Electromagnetic radiation can't create mutant strands of DNA unless the frequency is at or higher than the blue limit of the visible spectrum the near-ultraviolet. The frequency of cell phone radiation is about 1 million times too low.
    Caller: Wow! When did this news break?
    BP: Albert Einstein let it out in 1905.

And here is Phil Plate from Discover magazine letting us know why he's not worried, and filling in a few details that the media forgot to mention.
    "You may also wish to note what other things are categorized as Group 2B possible carcinogens, including gasoline, pickled vegetables, and (GASP!) coffee."

So while even if the physics were wrong, it still wouldn't be logical to treat this much worse than you do coffee or pickled vegetables :)

4. mizzytheboy macrumors member

mizzytheboy

right answer

5. JMercer2012 macrumors newbie

I understand that the jury is still out on the topic, but do you not see the potential for any negative health effects due to cell phone radiation? I am just asking because I have some worries, and unfortunately I have some trouble understanding the science behind the skepticism. Not that I dispute it, I think I don't have a grasp of the science well enough.

I do plan on looking into this subject more, though. Thanks for all the information. Maybe if I read through what you posted more closely I can get an idea.

Thanks!

6. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

Even Oranges COULD cause some sort of health defect, everything does.