Your thoughts on iOS 5 B8 Tomorrow

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Saberon, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Saberon macrumors 6502a

As much as I don't care for BGR, they honestly have been accurate in the past regarding iOS release dates. I think they got ahold of 4.3.3 and said it was coming very shortly it did. As well as 4.3 release date (within a day of it actually arriving)

Do you think we will see Beta 8 tomorrow as they say? I'm convinced we will, it's been 15 days since Beta 7 which is a fairly large gap, it's usually 10-13. I'm just incredibly excited for iOS 5 and have a great feeling the invites will go out tomorrow!

2. Pooshka, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

Pooshka macrumors 65816

What is the rumored date based on anyway? Again on a line of code found in a plist file? If yes, then that date simply means when the phone will be prompted next time to check for any available iOS updates (just like iTunes).

If it does come out tomorrow indeed, then it's gonna be a bug fix release only. Don't expect to see any new features until the GM.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Previous beta releases for iOS5 have been on Thurs/Fri/Sat. ~2 weeks or 13-15 days.

If we see no B8, then GM next week.

If we see B8, then GM counter resets, and we will likely have 2-3 weeks until GM+Keynote, or more betas!

4. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

They said B8 Friday, and then GM at next friday (or very close to). I know that's atypical of normal schedules but this isn't a normal year for Apple!

News is not based on some stupid plist file.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

'They'???

6. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

If we see a beta 8 tomorrow I expect it to be pretty much the almost exactly like the GM build. I believe Apple had originally intended Lion for a July 14th release and then pushed it back a week due to an issue they did not catch quickly. I'm sure Apple would want to see if there were any major issues with beta 8, and if there were none then the GM would probably have no major changes, just a different build number. Time will tell.

8. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty much agree gdjsnyder except I think the only difference between Beta 8 and GM will be the baked in Nuance technology. Otherwise there will be no difference.

Beta 8 is like GM without Nuance :D Here's hoping!

9. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, a bit off-topic.

I'm on iOS 5 beta 7 right now, but I installed it without being a developer and didn't register my UDID through a developer etc. so technically I'm using the beta 'illegally' if you will. Can I do a software update tomorrow (or whenever the new beta is out) or will it brick the phone?

My iPhone 4 is officially unlocked through Apple so I'm not afraid about the unlock, but rather about even running the software.

Thoughts?

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

1. I'm not even sure how that works, how you're even able to boot as it is :confused:

2. You're on your own, good luck.

11. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

If there is any delay in iPhone hardware and announcements, I can't see why iOS 5 would reach GM before an announcement. If anything I could see apple simply continuing to improve ios5 before going GM after the announcement.

Setting a GM date is all very well in principle, but if there is a hardware delay then it would be futile to release a GM early.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I disagree. They did the WDCC Keynote iOS5 without hardware. Focusing primarily on 3GS and 4 enhancements. Don't see why they couldn't following along with GM in the same manor.

iPhone5 could always be a 5.0.1, or 5.1 release.

13. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

It worked, with snowbreeze. Had no problems installing it, and I've been running it without any problems for about a week now.

14. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

The reason why I dont think apple will release a GM before an announcement is that they may add extra features that developers haven't had access to. As part of a way to say "heres the new i whatever .... And it can do this". Now if they release the iOS before the hardware, then all they are going to do is go on stage and say look at our new hardware ...... But have nothing really to say appart from look at it from this angle or that angle.

While iOS was previewed early (and to be honest I have no idea why they did preview it so early?) I think most of those previews were designed to show 3rd party developers which way the iOS is going in terms of future apps ..... But also to tell other manufacturers "we thought about it first and have announced it already so don't try and use something we have announced and with all probability patented it up to the hills"

15. mattburles macrumors regular

well if we dont get beta 8 tomorrow than maybe they are just going straight to GM and it will be released next week with or without an event. i think without an event is possible because maybe apple is doing something different this year.. at the event release iOS 5 and talk about the iPhone 5.

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Thats what i was eluding to earlier here or another thread. They can be independent, June WDCC was.

IPhone 5 can get iOS 5.1.

17. mattburles macrumors regular

I don't think they will wait till iOS 5.1 for iPhone 5.. more like a 5.0.1 release if they do. 5.1 probably wont come till next year with new features, etc and will probably debut with iPad 3.

18. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

That is, assuming the Nuance technology isn't iPhone4,1+ exclusive.