Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BESLC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Do you consider no optical drive an issue on the new Imac?

I have an older Imac I am looking to replace,however I am one of those who still uses my optical drive for content and to occasionally burn a disc. The convenience of an onboard drive is of value to me.

The nice thing about the All In One design was the compact aspect of the unit, and not having a desk full of peripherals. Don't get me wrong, the new Imac is appealing on many levels, I was hopeful that I would not need to buy an external drive, for me taking a step back by having to add external devices. I am curious on your thoughts, and if it is an issue for you as well?

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
You can always buy an external USB CD/DVD drive.I don't see it as a problem for me.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
I think it was a good decision to remove the OD. But they could've done so much more than simply make a desktop machine thinner.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
Is it a good decision, we need to move forward without optical drives. however, I'll most probably pick up an optical drive for my new iMac over time as I like to rip DVDs to play on my ipad.

maehara

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Northern Ireland
Apple being Apple and forcing the pace of change, which is generally a good trait. I have an external CD/DVD drive so it doesn't bother me - I can use it on the rare occasions I need it. Which on current form will be about twice a year...

mystikjoe

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
i'm glad it's gone the new imac is a thing of beauty. I actually removed mine out of my i7 imac to install a second drive ssd.

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
Do you consider no optical drive an issue on the new Imac?

I have an older Imac I am looking to replace,however I am one of those who still uses my optical drive for content and to occasionally burn a disc. The convenience of an onboard drive is of value to me.

The nice thing about the All In One design was the compact aspect of the unit, and not having a desk full of peripherals. Don't get me wrong, the new Imac is appealing on many levels, I was hopeful that I would not need to buy an external drive, for me taking a step back by having to add external devices. I am curious on your thoughts, and if it is an issue for you as well?

The removal of the optical drive was a set back IMO.

Looking at the new imac from the front, it does not look any different from the last generation. So the only difference in the looks of the new imac can only be seen when viewing from the side. That said, who if ever looking at it from the side...certainly not the user when working on it so why remove the optical drive for cosmetic reasons.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Is it a good decision, we need to move forward without optical drives. however, I'll most probably pick up an optical drive for my new iMac over time as I like to rip DVDs to play on my ipad.

Why do we need to move forward without optical drives?

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I'd buy the external drive and toss it in the drawer when i don't need it. That is essentially what i do with our MacBook Air's. In the past few months i have needed a DVD exactly twice.

No need to let it collect dust on a desk some place.

DelMac

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Well I like to buy a lot of rare & used cds off of Amazon and rip the music to iTunes so I frequently use my 2011 iMac's drive for that. I like the convenience of having the drive in my Mac and not off to the side externally getting in the way. Also, when I went out of town for a few months, I bought a Superdrive for my MB Air and it was quite a bit slower than the one in my Mac so I eventually returned it when I got back home.

When I buy a new Mac in a few years, I'll definitely buy a better external than the Superdrive. This is assuming I haven't finished collecting every 90's rap cd that I'm looking for. By then, I might not need a drive. Good thinking Apple;)

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
This has been discussed widely here and elsewhere, but I'll bite anyway.

For those of us who use our optical drives rarely (a few times a year in my case), the loss is nearly inconsequential. If it turns out that I need an external drive, I'll buy one - they're not very expensive. Not that I would have minded if Apple had included an optical drive in the new iMac, but they didn't.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Honestly, I can't remember the last time I burned a disc or needed to access one. When I edit videos now I share them on YouTube now w/ private restrictions and I use my public folder on dropbox to distribute photos and docs. If I need to carry around a file then I load it on a USB flash drive.

But if I did need a DVD reader/burner a slim USB drive is around $25... Samsung not Apple, but Apple just puts a Samsung or LG or other brand in a pretty case. Otherwise same animal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.