Your Thoughts on Personal Cloud Storage

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Centris 650, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

I've been looking at personal cloud storage options like WD's MyCloud and Transporter mainly because I hate paying a subscription. I've looked at both and both have some nice pros.

MyCloud has the USB port to add a HD for either more storage or for backup.
    Transporter has a removable drive that I can swap out if I ever want or need to.

The biggest con for both is bandwidth since it's using my router to access and move data.

I use my ipad A LOT for work. I need a device that would be mainly for storing files, presentations and spreadsheets as well as the occasional imovie video I need to make. Also, it would be a nice place to store my photos from my phone.

The question is, have you ever used wither device? What's your opinion.
    Is it just better to pony up the money for a subscription service or is this my best option?

Thanks in advance!

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I use Transporter and like it. It's a good product that works very well from what I have seen. The benefit of a paid service is that you don't have to worry about fire, flood, theft, or electrical faults in your home destroying your data. The downside is that you don't have any control over what the company does with it. I think the Transporter has saved me money so far considering I can have terabytes of storage for just the cost of the drive + the Transporter device. Paying for that much storage from a cloud provider would end up costing more over the long run.

3. 960design macrumors 68030

Yes, I had one for three years. Worked perfectly for my mac's ( there are four in our family ) time machine backups and file storage. It also backed up our three iPads and two iPhones ( and a partridge in an apple tree ).

I've just purchased ( will be here Monday ) an Airport TimeCapsule. I'm hoping I get the same functionality from it.

I'm against pony trading as well.