Carrier Your Thoughts on T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iExpensive, Nov 10, 2013.

1. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

Why does everyone think T-mobile is the better provider atm? I was going to buy a AT&T phone at the apple store the other day but the rep told me to hold off and choose T-mobile. After sleeping on it for a night I came up with this.

They require a larger deposit (because they need to pay back debt)
    Their network is not as developed (not the best 4G LTE)
    No-Contract (isn't that what we loved about being grandfathered in?)

So basically once T-mobile pays back their debt via all these new lines with hefty down payments they can change the rates as they please because there is no signed contract. Looks to be bait and switch to me.

Any thoughts?

2. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

I can give you good reasons to go to T-Mobile, since I have them, ablit not an iPhone (that may change soon).

1) No-contracts. Sure, the $200 price-tag for an iPhone 5S seems like a favorable thing for most consumers, but they are locked into a 2-year contract and when it's over, they are still paying for the phone. With T-Mobile, you pay full price or a down-payment (with good credit) and they separate the phone from the bill.

2) Network. Yes, many can argue that T-Mobile has excellent coverage in major metro cities, but not-so-great coverage outside of them, especially EDGE. Well, that's what you get from a lower-cost carrier. On the other hand, T-Mobile does have a very large HSPA+ network, with 229 million people covered and their LTE covers 203 million, or 254 markets. Also, T-Mobile is upgrading the top 40 of their markets with 10X10 LTE, with makes for up to 73 Mbps speeds and then next year, they will launch 20X20 LTE in 22 of the top markets, which can let you download at 150 Mbps. The network is also growing, as T-Mobile is making 225 million people covered with LTE and also plans to expand further than that, which is 280 million people. So if you are generally going to stay inside major markets, you will be fine.

3) Plans. Very easy plans:
    $50 first line
    $30 second line
    $10 each line after that

$10 2 GB of data (per line)
    $20 Unlimited data (per line)

4) JUMP. Two upgrades a year, $10 a month. Simple.

5) International. Unlimited data and text (2G data) in 115 countries around that world, included at no extra charge.

Those are my general thoughts on T-Mobile. :D

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

My opinion:

- Their down payments (upfront prices to get the phones) are usually the same as or lower than the other carriers subsidized upfront costs unless you have bad credit. In which case you would also probably be paying a deposit with the other carriers as well.

- Even when you factor in the monthly payments towards the phone, your plan almost always still comes out cheaper than AT&T for a similar plan. The only thing Tmobile has done is make the phone device and the rate plan two separate charges rather than rolling the price of the phone into an overpriced rate plan like AT&T.

- To add to the point above, it's also good for those who like to save some money and buy used phones from places like Craigslist or eBay like I sometimes do. Since you're not getting a phone from Tmobile in these cases, your rate plan is lower. With AT&T the rate plan is the same no matter if you bring your phone from somewhere else or not.

- Once your phone is paid off, the payments towards the phone are gone and your monthly bill is lower. With the other carriers you keep paying the same high rate plan even after you have completed your contract and repaid them for the phone. Think of the scenarios like I see many here who sit on upgrades and wait for the next iPhone to come out even though their contracts are completed. AT&T loves this because you are paying the same rate plan as someone who used a subsidy to get a phone even if you didn't use one. With TMO at least you get a break on your rate plan until you decide to use your upgrade.

- They still have unlimited data, so there's no concern about being grandfathered into AT&T's 5GB throttled "unlimited" data. Then even with the unlimited data plan I get 2.5GB of tethering automatically included. I like that there is no concern of data overage charges on Tmobile too.

Basically unless you're in a market where Tmobile has bad coverage, or there coverage isn't good where you frequently travel, there's no good reason to choose any of the other carriers over them.

4. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Oh yeah, T-Mobile was THE carrier to get grandfathered loyalty plans on. Unfortunately, if you're going to jump ship you're not getting grandfathered anything anywhere. :(

If you can get subsidized phones at verizon for within $10 of what T-Mobile is charging, go with them.

5. iExpensive thread starter macrumors 6502

iExpensive

You've made some pretty good points but here's the rates I can have.

AT&T 3GB data/450 talk/text for $90/mo 2 years + $199 (32GB 5S)
    T-mobile with unlimited/talk/text will be $83/mo 2 years + $320 (32GB 5S)

AT&T looks most appealing to me for an immediate buy right now. Once the AT&T contract is up I can unlock it and go to T-mobile if I see fit right?

Can someone explain how likely it will be for T-mobile to change their unlimited once they gain a healthy user base again? I can't really see them offering unlimited data for that much longer with all the new activation they've gained in the last 2 years.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Why are you comparing ATT 3GB to TMo Unlimited? Seems unfair.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

For a 32GB iPhone 5S.

TMo. 2.5GB unlimited all else.
    Service+Phone = $250 up front + $60/mo + 20.83/mo = $80.83+tax+fees/mo.
    Over 2 years = $2189.92 + monthly taxes/fees

ATT. 2GB, unlimited all else.
    $300 up front + 95/mo + taxes and fees.
    Over 2 years = $2580

Is the extra $400 worth network differences? Maybe.

Where the huge difference is if you bring your own phone, or buy a cheap one off craigslist or a friend, or ebay, etc. etc. Unlocked iPhone used, whatever your price, cancels out.

TMo. 2.5GB unlimited all else.
    $60+taxes&fees / mo.
    Over 2 years = $1440 + monthly taxes/fees

ATT. 2GB, unlimited all else.
    $95 + taxes&fees.
    Over 2 years = $2280 + monthly taxes/fees

A more noticeable $840 difference.

Attached Files:

• ATT.PNG
      ATT.PNG
      File size:
      48.6 KB
      Views:
    • tmo.PNG
      tmo.PNG
      File size:
      25.2 KB
      Views:
    • tmo2.PNG
      tmo2.PNG
      File size:
      162.3 KB
      Views:
  8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The data part of AT&T plan you quoted isn't available anymore. You have to sign up for their "mobile share" and pay even more.

9. McRumour macrumors member

For me choosing T-Mobile was a no-brainer because:

1. I opted for a no-contract, device only plan with a new 5S.
    T-Mobile was the only option offered by Apple online store (tho I think one could probably get round that, if you wanted)
    2. Their coverage, where I live, is generally excellent (LTE or 4G at a minimum)
    3. I chose one of their $30.00 per mo. pre-paid plans. There are two. Mine offers 1500 talk/text mins. + 30 MB data. This plan probably won't suit the majority of users - but it works for me, at the moment.
    One caveat - If you opt for this plan, subsequently switch to another with them - and later want to switch back....it's not allowed. They do categorize it as "introductory". However - they put no limit on it's duration.
    Time will tell.... but meanwhile, I'm happy.....

10. McRumour macrumors member

......and to add to my above post:
    with either of T-Mobils $30.00 per mo. no-contract, pre-paid plans - their are NO fees or taxes!
    $30.00 is what you pay. :)

11. mr.bsmith macrumors newbie

I love T-Mobile! Fast LTE speeds here in Syracuse, NY. Purchased a blue 5c and I do the $30 plan 100 mins unlimited text and unlimited internet up to 5GB at LTE speeds. I keep an extra $10 in my account to cover if I go over mins but I try to use Talkatone with google voice for non personal calls.

12. Akack macrumors 6502a

TMobile is great if and only if they have decent coverage in your area.

I get great T Mobile coverage where I'm at.
    Just don't expect to have coverage like ATT and Verizon, especially inside big buildings.

I have either LTE or great 4G coverage in 90% of the places I'm at.

Test out their coverage for a month since its no contract and no need to pay an ETF. If you find their coverage to not be up to par then you need to stick with the big 2.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Everyone does not. Carriers are not one-size-fits-all. I use Verizon as TMO doesn't provide the coverage I need. YMMV.

14. McRumour macrumors member

But if you don't have a plan with unlimited minutes - you can't do that using your cell without the minutes being charged against your monthly included total.....can you?

15. solo118 macrumors 65816

Google Voice + Talkatone = Free phone calls over internet. I use this when I travel overseas and have never been charged for any minutes.

16. mr.bsmith macrumors newbie

It uses data not minutes. It not bad call quality. I just use for if I need to call and order food or call stores and people off from craigslist to avoid giving out my private number.

17. pottyvick macrumors regular

I am with tmobile with an iphone 5... The biggest reason being Network in phoenix and unlimited data. I do not text or talk much.

In phoenix i get great LTE Coverage and the speeds are great. The price is great as well (compared to the two biggest competitors).

One thing to look at is the no-contract offer... So they spread out the cost of the phone for two years. The way i see it, i have an iphone 5 (which i got in april when they released on tmobile) and by the time the Iphone 6 comes out (presumably, sometime next September) i will only owe 160. I can pay off this phone then sell it on craigslist for around 260ish, then use that towards the iphone 6... That's why i don't use the jump program, since i can just sell mine for quite a profit...

Let me also add, i don't travel much so coverage outside of phoenix doesn't matter to me...

18. McRumour macrumors member

".......over internet" while making and receiving calls with cell?....or simply with your computer - (perhaps routed to a land line)?
    ....I've tried and tried and tried...and cannot find a way for any call directed thru Google Voice to my iPhone - to not end up as charged minutes.
    If this can be done....How do you set it up?
    At the moment I do have GV set to ring my land line number and/or my cell. But calls to/from cell are not free. I'm very anxious to be able to configure it so that I can make/receive free calls using my 5S.
    Sorry for hi-jacking this thread....but since GV was mentioned - I dived in:rolleyes: since this has been an issue for me.

19. carlgo macrumors 68000

No TMob reception at all around here. City companies at least force down the costs and have made ATT/VZ offer some better plans for everyone.

20. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I love my T-Mobile service! I pay less for Unlimited data through T-Mobile than I did for 3GB/mo with AT&T. No Brainer for me. I like owning my device and being able to leave if I ever needed to. That said, their service area is limited but does cover the vast majority of metropolitan areas so I'm not to worried about it.

21. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

It all depends on your needs and preferences. I've been with them since their Voicestream days back in the days and I have no affiliation of any kind.

My reasons to be loyal to them may be a bit unique. I live in metropolitan area with good coverage. In fact, the coverage at my house which is a bit away from the city, is better with T-Mobile than with AT&T. Not sure about the other networks like Verizon etc.

And I travel internationally and make lots of calls to Canada and Europe. Can't beat the pricing on that one. And now with the free international data it's simply the best deal in town for me.

And when you compare total cost they are clearly the cheapest. There is no ongoing monthly fee for a phone that you may or may not have upgraded and all the other shenanigans. Is their scheme 100% transparent? Hm, maybe not. But it comes pretty close if you're willing to actually read what the rules are.

In summary it's really pretty simple: you pay for the phone either upfront (or bring one) - otherwise you have installments. Rates for those are very straightforward and actually pretty reasonable. After that you pick one of the plans that fits your needs. Don't really see any switch and bait with that - especially compared to what the other guys are doing.

One other thing: most providers, certainly T-Mobile has discounts available that can bring cost down further. AAA membership gets you one. Educational discounts. Many workplaces have something. Lots of options but requires some digging.

----------

It works for me. Existing (!) google voice number + talkatone = free calls over wifi. Setup was a bit cumbersome. Don't remember the details but you can find it on the web.

22. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

I agree with your comments. My previous provider was with Tmobile as well, it was much much better than my local ATT service. The only reason I switched away was because of iPhone. I miss having WIFI calling on the phone back in the days. If Tmobile put this function back on iPhone I would seriously consider switch back to Tmobile for my next upgrade.

23. McRumour macrumors member

Thanks everyone for the Talkatone (+GV) suggestion.
    I've got it now.
    It works!
    It's great (when it doesn't just mysteriously cut out....and you finally realize you've been talking away into "the black hole").
    But hey....it's free - so can't really complain.
    And it helps to make T-Mobiles $30 per mo. plans more feasible - as you're not eating into your limited minutes.

Now back to the actual subject of this thread......

24. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

For anyone that travels that unlimited data that extends to other countries is such an amazing deal I have no idea where its been all this time! Seriously!

25. applegeek25 macrumors regular

applegeek25

Here's the problem in T-Mobile's logic: They're assuming that business travellers are more focused on international coverage than domestic. A few months ago I travelled through the midwest region with a T-Mobile iPhone 5 and I can't even begin to tell you how painful that experience was.

Personally, I don't have anything against T-Mobile as a company. In fact I wish them all the best, but they shouldn't be marketing their services towards business travellers of any kind (at least not until they've upgraded all their 2G towers).