Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
Whilst I am waiting on my new Imac arrival, I attended my first 1to1 session at an apple shop yesterday.

I spoke about my macbook pro etc and he said I should get rid of everything on my hard drive besides the OS and Applications to speed it up, he even suggested a complete clean and install from time to time! Anybody do this?

Whilst I agree with storing my websites and video stuff (even music files), wouldnt it be difficult to leave 100gb free on a 320gb drive?

OR

Shall I just get buy and fit an SSD drive and use an external drive too

Anyone had success with this

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
on my MBP I have an hard drive of 256GB which is fine for me, it is mostly upto you but consider that HDD these days are so cheap you can easly fit 1TB in your laptop should you need it more space

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
on my MBP I have an hard drive of 256GB which is fine for me, it is mostly upto you but consider that HDD these days are so cheap you can easly fit 1TB in your laptop should you need it more space

great thanks, is there any preference to best manufacturer/models etc?

is it just as easy to change the processor? i.e. a dual core to maybe an i7?

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
the HD replacement is straight forward, if you like you can swap the HDD with a SSD, it will cost a little more but you will gain quite a lot in speed.

With regards to HDD I don't know much, for the SSD I have put a Crucial M4 for 130 quids on Amazon in November last year and is doing really well.

I have have heard lot's of positive review from the samsung 830/840 pro SSD as well, if you need a HDD try these brand that I have mentioned, they surely have something reliable or wait for someone else personal experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.