Your thoughts on

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MortimerJazz, Nov 27, 2007.

1. MortimerJazz macrumors regular

Morning everyone - new guy here looking to buy his first Macbook in the new year.

Just a quick question for you. I'm looking to purchase the mid-range option, which comes with 120GB hard drive as standard.

My question is that as a designer, will I have much space left over after I've installed Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Flash ... and maybe even Office.

How much space will all that take up? Would you recommend up grading my Hard Drive when I buy?

Thanks alot

2. 119576 Guest

I'd buy a good external hard drive if you need more space in the future.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You will have more then enough space on the hard drive for those apps. I would though get an external with it. As a designer you will want to make sure your data is safe. Also it will be all of you projects and such that end up taking up all the space on your HD>

4. MortimerJazz thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry - just realised I didn't actually finish my title before submitting the post!

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I'll probably look into getting an external HD anyway. Is it just a case of plugging it into the Macbook? Or does it get a bit more complicated?

Cheers

5. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Your thoughts on

Just a suggestion.

When I buy a new Mac, I buy it with the least amount of RAM and the smallest HDD.

If you buy the upgrades from Apple, you'll spent x times what you would at a third party online merchant.

Buy the MAC as is, then buy another drive, get a 7K speed, and bigger. Then install the new drive in the Mac.

With the HDD from the MAC, buy an external enclosure, I like the Mercury enclosures.

Time Machine on the external drive, on which I would install OSX.

Perfect.