Your thoughts...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhiteWhaleHolyGrail, Nov 23, 2016.

1. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I have a base unit 15 inch on order. Through various discounts I have the opportunity to get the 2.7ghz upgrade stock model for £2,328. Obviously this is a substantial saving but still more expensive than the base model on order for £2,114 (also with discounts.

It feels a little like an upgrade for the sake of it as apart from the extra SSD space, I don't imagine the slight CPU and GPU upgrades will make much difference in actual use.

What do you guys think? The upgrade would only happen via me going in store to secure a unit as I'm certainly not cancelling my order due on 8 December yet.

Thanks.

EDIT - the base unit would be £2,014 in fact.

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

I went with the base, and 512gb/460 upgrades. As for my use the better GPU will probably be better than a better CPU (And the cpu difference is negligible). I originally had the top one, with the 2.7/455. In all honesty I doubt there'd be any difference between them as the pro's and con's would even out.

If you have just the base 15" I'd by all means consider it. But do ask yourself if you need that extra power, or if you're just being impatient and wanting it earlier. It's only a couple of weeks and that'll sail by. You could always use the £200 difference, hire a boat, grab a harpoon and go on that adventure you always dreamed of whilst you wait.

3. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Thank you, that's helpful. In truth I don't think the upgrade will make much difference, I think it's just the possibilities of upgrades due to discounts that make it tempting, even for that fallacy of 'future proofing'.

But seriously, who told you about my harpoon equipped adventure fantasy?

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Even discounted it's still expensive, remember that! Never fall for the trap of "If I just spend an extra £30 here, I get this!", else you'll be several hundred down at the end of it! Future proofing wise I think is a none topic these days. They all should last a good while (With tech slowdowns), and even if they do last for 8-10 years. I'd imagine it's highly likely you'd want to upgrade it much sooner!

Some religious sounding guy down the pub, Elijah something or other. He had quite a few stories, bit of a nutter to be honest. Kept wanting to see our feet for some reason but you know how things are 'down the pub'.

5. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Wise words indeed. You are quite right.

As for Elijah, last I heard Queequeg was downing shots with him in a strange game of harpoon beer pong...