Your top 5 Nintendo DS games

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by mithrilfox, Feb 12, 2009.

1. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

There's a lot to choose from, and a lot of very good ones, but try to give us your top 5 Nintendo DS games. Order isn't important, just list your top 5 :).

Here's mine:

1) Animal Crossing: Wild World
    Yea I know, it seems kiddy at first, but it's actually pretty cool.

2) Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass
    It's Zelda... has any Nintendo-made Zelda ever not been awesome? (yes, Zeldas not made by Nintendo exist, and they suck)

3) Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
    Holy crap, 2D platforming action doesn't really get much better than this. The game just rocks. Music, weapons, graphics, baddies, ...

4) Tales of Hearts
    Fun game, nice graphics, decent story, cool anime movie scenes, decent spoken dialogue, unique combat system. Only released in Japan, however, so if you don't speak Japanese, you won't get much out of it.

5) Mario Kart DS
    Nothing spectacularly new here, but Mario Kart in 3D on a handheld is exactly where this game belongs.

Some runner-ups: Chrono Trigger (remake, original was possibly best game ever), New Super Mario Brothers, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates, Tetris DS.

2. n00basaur macrumors regular

3. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center...maybe super mario brothers.
    i could say those games are good enough to make my top 5.

4. mithrilfox2 macrumors newbie

Sure do :).

Here it is:

[​IMG]

Works great. I'm not big on the cameras, since they're pretty low quality overall, but I love the downloadable (and free) DSi web browser... works as well (or as poorly) as the Opera browser you can buy for some ¥4000.

Comes with 1000pts free to shop with. Shop is pretty sparse right now, a total of about 20 titles overall, and some just kinda cheesy demos that you pay for.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

1. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - Amazing gameplay and music. Never have been so addicted to a DS game, once I finished I started right back again on hard mode. I've never done that with any game before :)
    2. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - For the same reasons as above. Everything was just great and well balance. Got about 30 hours on the game clock now just running around doing nothing but fighting.
    3. Pokemon Pearl - Probably the most addictive Pokemon game I've played.
    4. Kirby Canvas Curse - Was sceptical at first but the change in gameplay was really something else. The art and sound direction is pretty surreal. Love a sequel.
    5. Advance Wars Dual Strike - Not even sure why I picked this, I suck at the games but I still keep buying them and playing.

Honourable mentions going to Animal Crossing, Tetris DS, Metroid Hunters and Nanostray. New Mario would have been in there if it had co-op play, more varied level types and environments, more enemy variation, better powerups...

6. mithrilfox2 macrumors newbie

Just wanted to inform the moderator that this is not an "Apple Game."

Having "Console Games" under "Apple Games" therefore makes no sense and is precisely the reason I didn't put this under that title.

7. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Jealous of your DSi! The interface of the firmware looks much more polished

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Nice one. I pick of Opera running would be cool.

I'd say...

-Pokemon Diamond
    -Mario Kart DS
    -New Super Mario Bros.

And that's about all the DS games I really play.
    Unfortunately my DS lite had that hinge defect (google image search it) so it broke.
    I then bought a refurbished DS from game stop and then one day, the screen just had a bunch of dead pixels on it!
    On Pokemon Diamond I have all the Pokemon.
    The only thing I cheated on was MasterBalls and Rare Candies, but that wasn't until after I beat the Pokemon League.

I'll probably get back into the DS once the DSi and Pokemon Platinum come out in America.
    I can't wait until there is Pokemon game for DS that is just like Gold/Silver/Crystal.

9. mithrilfox thread starter macrumors regular

mithrilfox

Here's a photo of the DSi Browser in action (it is *not* the original Opera browser, that is a separate cartridge purchase).

The DSi browser can be downloaded, for free, from the DSi Shop.

The Opera browser, in its current incarnation, is likely incompatible with the DSi, because the Opera browser uses extended memory via a memory pack inserted into the GBA slot of the DS/DS Lite, which as you know there is no GBA slot in the DSi.

Attached Files:

10. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Yeah, I know. In America we had the Opera web browser for DS lite and I reserved it. Unfortunately it didn't last long and was discontinued.
    And btw, the web browser isn't Opera but it's made by Opera.

11. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I can't wait for the DSi, I still have a DS and was about to get a DSL but decided to just wait for the DSi (just for the dsware)....

Anyway.. I can't really think right now. I did just get Big Bang Mini, which is really good, but not on my top 5.

12. begoo macrumors newbie

13. mithrilfox thread starter macrumors regular

mithrilfox

The WiFi battle mode is actually quite awesome. Rather than a little mini-game as a "just for the heck of it," it's clear they put a lot of serious effort into making a great extension of the game itself. One could spend an hour or more playing that game, learning new strategies, amassing points, and battling rivals from all over the world.

Nice Nintendo! :cool:

14. gniss39 macrumors regular

I've never played a Castlevania game but I have heard great things about them. Which one would you recommend I buy/play first? OoE or DoS? THanks

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Don't listen to Jimmmmi. :eek: He hasn't played the second in the series, so he forfeited his rights to speak for Castlevania on the DS. :)

Start with the first one, which is Dawn of Sorrow.

Then Portrait of Rune. It's a great game, just harder to get into than the first.

Then the 3rd, which is Order of Ecclesia -- it's a difficult game in a great way, so the others will be practice.

Make sure you PLAY THEM ALL!!! :)

All and all, some of the best 2D adventure games to date and some of the top games on any platform.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Mario Kart
    Prof Layton
    Ouendan (1+2)
    Phoenix Wright (all of them)
    and Zelda to round it out...

17. capoeirista macrumors 6502

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (Advance Wars: Dark Conflict in the EU) is really really good. I finished it, sold it and now I miss it. Zelda is second, and Mario Kart is third. (Oh I heard today that Mario Kart has been out for 4 YEARS and is still in the 10 ten US game charts...)

Chrono Trigger came though the post today, so I'm looking forward to playing that. Also on my need to 'play' list/backlog, is the Cooking guide 'game'. I got it for free, and whilst easy to mock, I've had a quick look at it and it looks like there are some interesting things to make in there.

I think this could be a really strong year for DS, there's loads of games coming out that I'm looking forward to (Henry Hatsworth, Grand Theft Auto, etc, etc)

Also, has anyone played fire emblem on DS? Is it worth getting?

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Definitely DoS. It feels a little older (obviously! t'was the first) and its a lot easier than the others. Ecclesia isn't that hard though, if anything enemies have much more predictable attack patterns so if you can evade you'll find it quite easy.

But if you want to get into the series it might be best to play Aria of Sorrow first (GBA), it's the prequel to DoS and has more or less the same mechanics.

^ and the reason why MK DS is still up there is because it's downright fantastic! It's one of the few console games that my friends still have big multiplayers with. Lasting fun that game :)

19. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Not sold on this one. I use a radical piece of technology called a cookery book for recipes.

20. capoeirista macrumors 6502

I couldn't agree more. I'm not going to judge it until I've tried it however;)

Oh also, I forgot to mention that 'Tokyo Beatdown' (from Atlus Games) is a DS game I'm very much looking forward to based solely upon this youtube trailer

21. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

1. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    2. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
    3. Tetris DS
    4. Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time
    5. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

I haven't played Phantom Hourglass, but I should.

If there was a 2D Metroid game for the DS, it'd probably top my list. :(

22. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

I'm too lazy to create an order:

- Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    - Mario 64 DS
    - Picross
    - Tetris DS

But #1 would definitely be...

- Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. As a fan from the arcade version, online multiplayer is a dream. Oh the hours I spent playing online...