Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Your TV provider

• Cable: Shaw

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Cable: Sasktel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cable: TimeWarner

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Cable: ComCast

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • Cable: Rogers

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Satellite: Bell ExpressVu

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Satelliter: Star Choice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Satellite: Dish Network

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Satellite: DirecTV

Votes: 12 18.8%

• Total voters

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
I have Shaw, god it's sickening. All the good channels aren't on my plan. I get 2-22, skips to about 49, skips again to somwhere like 82 and goes to 86. :mad:

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Wow, the TV system seems much more complicated there in the US. We have 5 free to air channels (some also have secondary channels thanks to digital broadcasting) which is what most people here watch. Not very many people have cable and if they do it's usually from a provider called Foxtel.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
max_altitude said:
Wow, the TV system seems much more complicated there in the US. We have 5 free to air channels (some also have secondary channels thanks to digital broadcasting) which is what most people here watch. Not very many people have cable and if they do it's usually from a provider called Foxtel.

Sure is. In Central Floriduh, we have 5 regular local channels broadcasting in English, at least 2 local channels broadcasting in Spanish, 4 religious channels, plus 2 public broadcasting service channels.

In most controlled neighbourhoods here, we're not allowed to have aerials/antennas to receive regular off-the-air broadcasts. We're allowed cable t.v., which is usually piped into every home by default or 18 inch satellite dishes like DirecTV.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
DISCOMUNICATION said:
I'm with you. I love tv, but I wouldn't pay for it unless I was living in the middle of nowhere and only got one channel.
What about if it was cheaper for you to get cable and internet than just internet alone ($62 < $64):eek:

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
In London I have both Freeview (digital broadcast, 20-odd free channels) and Homechoice (comes down my DSL line, 60-odd channels + video on demand). In Barcelona I have a basic Sky package via satellite. And the truly funny thing; there's rarely anything worth watching on any of them.

Can't vote though, since the poll is racist towards everyone outside of the USA ;)

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
DISCOMUNICATION said:
The ABC sub-channel is just live doppler which is actaully just a mirror feed of a windows desktop. On friday nights you can see them running Norton AntiVirus.
One day when I was sick, and stayed home from work, I was flipping through the channels when I stopped on one of the public access channels. This is a channel that just runs a PowerPoint slide show in a loop, with slides advertising upcoming local events, city job postings, and other information of interest to the citizens of Madison. Someone was in the process of adding some new slides and correcting some of the older slides, but they hadn't bothered to do the work offline -- we were seeing them make the changes "live". It was mesmerizing. :D

P.S. Knology is my cable provider.

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
Was Cox but moved to the other side of town about a year ago and now I'm on Time Warner. The basketball arena at my university is named Cox Arena which lead to this April First article in the student newspaper in 2004.

sb58

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2006
Hades
why doesn't this poll just have an "other" option? trying to get all the T.V. providers onto one poll isn't really possible, at least when this forum has people from all over.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Good old free to air (sort of...) british analogue TV! But I'm getting my DTT eyeTV stick any day now. :)

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
We just had to cancel DishNetwork today. We're moving into an apartment. Aside from the technical impossibilities of putting a dish in (big tree in the way) the complex wants us to pay an additional $200 deposit plus get insurance for the dish. So we're planning on going with Comcast cable + DVR/HD while we're at the apartment. I'd really like to go back to Dish though, when we land in a house of our own.

BTW, how is Comcast HD/DVR for those who have it? Is it pretty good?

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
Mac Rules said:
Don't you guys get Sky in the States? I thought they were international... Oh well, thats what I've got, 600 channels of bliss! ;)

Cheers
600 channels? What's the cost of that? (In american dollars?)

We have DirecTV, Total Choice Plus, $55 per month with additional room. Ugh... and RCA receivers suck.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
OTA.

Family is cheap, we don't pay fer naw tele.

(really, the apartment were in charges bank for cable)

PBS is where its at anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.