Your view on people using a large tablet to take photo/video

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hajime, Dec 28, 2015.

?

Do you like people who take photo/video using a large tablet?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2016.
  1. Does not matter to me

45.0%
  2. I dislike

55.0%
  3. I think it is cool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hajime macrumors 68030

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I never respond to such polls until I have some idea of the perspective of the person who has set the questions and why answers to such equations are being sought.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. hajime, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015

hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I have been doing it for over a year with nobody complaining. Recently, somebody just mentioned that taking photo/video with such a large 12.2" tablet (also my phone) might block the view of people behind me. I wonder if it is considered to be rude or inconsiderate to use such a large device for recording.

5. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I'm missing the "hilarious, they look completely ridiculous" option.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

In other words, are you doing this at a public setting, or concert, or football match?

If so, and you are blocking the view of people behind you, - especially f they have paid for tickets - then I could well see why they might feel that they have cause for complaint.

7. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I think most would be fine with it but would prefer to be asked. It's only considerate.

So just ask the person behind you. Acknowledge their presence. Treat them with respect and they'll likely be agreeable. Just take your picture as quickly as possible and then put your iPad down.

Alternativey, you can avoid asking permission by making sure nobody's behind you. I.e., stay at the back of the crowd.

8. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

You're really just talking about increments on a scale that's still comprised of annoying behavior. Sure, a large tablet is worse, but it's not like holding your arms up over your head with a 6" device still isn't slightly obnoxious.

If you do want to hold your device in a position other than directly in front of your body for some extended period, find a place to do it where it doesn't bother anyone else (see above).

I'd also suggest: be selective, especially with video. If it's something you're experiencing live, it's not going to have the same impact playing a video for someone who wasn't there. If you want to have a reminder of the event, shoot a few quick photos.

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

You can choose "I dislike".

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very good post, and one that sets out the argument why this can be annoying, dislikable and entitled behaviour.

11. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Sometimes I stayed at the back of the crowd. In one type of situation where everybody is sitting on the same level as the stage, I had to raise my 12.2" tablet up to take photos/videos of the performance. Otherwise, people in front of me blocked the view. I guess in that situation, it is not so back as people behind could see through my arms. In another situation (trade shows), I have to stand near the speaker/object of interest and do the recording.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Look.

In Ye Olden Days, if you took a photograph - or, a series of photographs - of an occasion, or performance or a function - with a camera, you didn't block the view of those behind you. What gives you the right to think that you can do so now - especially as, with digital photography - you are doubtless taking hundreds of shots, - rather than the few rolls that even professional photographers used to take?

And the 'they can see through my arms' excuse doesn't wash. If someone has paid - and paid well - for a seat to attend a performance - they deserve better than to have to struggle to 'see through someone's arms' in order to actually view the performance they paid for.

13. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

1) Enjoy it
    2) Please stay out of my way if you're in Midtown Manhattan during rush hour
    3) Enjoy it
    4) If you are kind enough to honor #2, then I don't care:p

14. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think it looks slightly ridiculous but doesn't bother me unless someone does it in front of me and blocks my view, in which case it is extremely annoying and incredibly rude

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think it is silly, but it doesn't bother me.

17. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Honestly, who cares? I think it looks a little silly, but it has nothing to do with me.

18. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the comments. I shall take it as one of the reasons to buy an iPhone.

19. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

A wise choice.

20. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I think it looks stupid but it works for most things so it's no big deal.

But it will never ever be a substitute to a camera.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here's my opinion, based on what I see during my visits to DisneyWorld.

When places are crowded, and people throw a large tablet over their head to take a picture, it does block the view of others for no good reason. I've always been a big proponent for the right tool for the job, and I do question the use of an iPad as a camera. Its a large bulky item (in comparison to a phone or a camera hanging around your neck) and its built in camera is inferior to that of most other things out there.

I don't mind people using them, as long as it doesn't impede my enjoyment of the show. I do see them struggling to use the iPads in the bright Florida sun, which only reinforces my low opinion of using them in that scenario.

22. Tech198 macrumors G4

ok...

I feel like tapping people on the shoulder and saying "what are u doing, i can't see, u have a better quality camera phone right there"

Your telling me a bigger device is more convenient to carry round than a smaller size phone with a better camera ?

It's like holding a piece of plywood in front of your face.

23. ThinkDifferent24 macrumors member

ThinkDifferent24

Why do you want to drag around a big tablet when you have your iPhone?

24. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I have not bought an iPhone yet. I have been using my tablet as a phone for over a year. I chose a large tablet due to poor eyesight and it has a larger virtual keyboard. My tablet is my only smartphone.

25. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Get a phone, a 'real' (digital) camera, or a smaller tablet, instead. Large tablets block, or obscure the view for others, especially if used for a prolonged period of time.