your vote and why (2010 upgraded 11 vs loaded 13 vs base 2011 11")

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nashville man, Jan 9, 2012.

1. nashville man macrumors newbie

Help deciding please... Gotta stay at @$1000 Options apprar to be:

A) $849 for Oct 2010 Air 11" Core 2 Duo 4/128
    B) $1098 for Oct 2010 Air 13" Core 2 Duo 4/256
    C) $899 for July 2011 Air 11" i5 base 2/64 (refurbished)
    D) $999 for July 2011 Air 11" i5 upgrade 4/128 (refurbished)

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

B if you want 13", otherwise D.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is another thread about this.
    What will your uses?
    We can not pick the best machine without knowing.
    How much storage do you need?

4. nashville man thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry. Just basic uses, word, Excel, ppt, web browsing, music and video. Don't know how much storage I need, so either ssd should work...can always use external HDD, portable, etc

5. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

D.

I would never buy a computer with a C2D in 2012, especially if you want it to last ~3-5 years, or even longer. (And by last, I mean, stay well equipped for all the changes in OS, applications, etc in the future)

But if you need the 13in screen, ~hour or 2 better battery life, and an SD card slot, then go 13in.

6. WstCstCmtr macrumors member

I know! It's tough for me too. I started a thread with similiarish "problems"

I don't have the spending cap so it's a little easier. I was all set to wait till summer for the refresh but then I saw the deal for the 2010 for 1k at macmall.

My wife has the exact 2010 model and she paid closer to 1800! So even though it's not the newest model the price may be too good to pass up.

7. calvol macrumors 6502a

Go with (B). C2D is fine with 320M graphics, battery lasts longer and runs cooler. Unless your encoding video's or doing numerical processing, this option would serve you well.

8. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    you forgot (E) none of the above.

either await new Airs in mid-2012 or borrow a couple of hundred bucks and get a new 13" i5.

as someone else mentioned, no point buying a 2010 model.

9. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

If you're going for the 2010, maybe go for a really cheap one... I did that, went for the base 2010 11" refurb for 649 euro (I think it's $699 in the US).

It's still enough for what I need to do on the road and it left enough money for me to get a nice mini at home :) Instead of having a souped-up Air that's still not good enough as primary computer. I mainly needed the 8GB of RAM.

Maybe it's not an option for you but I thought I'd mention it. Of course you'll have to live with 2GB ram then, making it almost impossible to keep for a long time.

10. Fastball32 macrumors member

Definitely get D, the 2011 with 4GB of Ram.

2011 Sandy Bridge doubles the Geekbench scores from 2010.
    Having Thunderbolt will also increase the longevity and some of the short comings with an Air.

11. nashville man thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all...sounds like I have to wait for the 2011 models to come down further in price (perhaps when 2012 Airs release?) and then go with a 2011 Air i5 4/128 version of either the 13" or 11

Appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice .

12. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I wouldn't recommend buying a CPU as old as C2D, we have had Nehalem, and Westmere since then and we are now on Sandy Bridge, which itself will shortly be replaced.

13. Kungshi macrumors member

Yeah before you make that decision you really have to know for sure what screen size you want. That can really make all the difference depending on how you will use it.

14. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

B. 13" has better battery life in addition to screen real-estate. If you don't mind having "old tech" you won't even notice the processor speed difference in ripping videos.

15. nashville man thread starter macrumors newbie

backlit keyboard...it it really that big a deal?

Considering 2010 v 2011...know the processor difference but not a power user...can get larger screen and more ssd for similar if going with 2010...if 2011 budget will only accommodate 11" screen and 4/128 max...

How many using 11" comfortably for regular word, Excel, ppt, and web use vs 13??...will be my only computer at least for the next year, then could add monitor or perhaps iMac...travel portability important, but how many of you traveling must have 11 vs 13 Air?

16. danahn17 macrumors 6502

For me, I have a MBP that has a backlit keyboard. I also have to use a Lenovo T400 that does not have a backlit keyboard. I used to think it was a gimmick but after using it for some time, the backlit keyboard IS really helpful in low light conditions. But at the same time, for me, it's not a feature that is a MUST HAVE.

I'm not sure if the 11" vs 13" will be a major issue... both are very portable. In terms of hard drive space, you can also always buy a portable external HD if you need.

That being said, I'd probably personally go with the older 13" just because i like the bigger screen :)

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I can't go back to a computer without a backlit keyboard.

18. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I really like the backlight,
    but if you dont want to get the 2011 for whatever reasons (financial, prefer 13", etc) you COULD get something like this.
    Hope I helped.

19. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

The 13 inch air does work on an airplane and I have used it for a couple of hours at a time on a plane. If your spend a whole bunch of time flying while working on your machine then 11 inch might be a better choice.

Aside from working while on an airplane the 13 inch is a superb traveling machine.

If one was fairly large then using a 13 inch while flying could be difficult probably.

20. ericDylan macrumors regular

I am sitting in a completely dark room right now watching tv and I can see my keyboard perfectly fine.

The screen, even set on low, provides ample light for typing in the dark. I have the 2010 13" and would recommend it to anyone!

It has plenty of power for me. I had a windows laptop with a back-lit keyboard before this and, while I used it, it is easy to live without.

21. tlinford macrumors regular

tlinford

You notice it when you've had it, then it's gone..

I remember the first time I saw someone in a dim-lit cafe a few years ago using an PowerBook G4 with a backlit keyboard. My reactions were firstly "wow, what's that laptop? it look cool"; secondly "that looks damn useful" and thirdly having found out what it was "that's way too expensive to be worth it..."..

For the last 2 half years I have owned a 13" MacBook Pro Unibody, with backlit keyboard. I guess I thought I didn't use the backlight a lot, or rather I thought I didn't, until I started carrying around an iPad 2, and Bluetooth keyboard.

I got my MacBook when I returned to full-time education. Switching to an IPad and wireless keyboard to weight sake I have found it amazing when working in cafe corners or a library or a lecture theatre or whatever, how I suddenly realise I can't see my keyboard and how much I miss the backlight.....

I think because the way the backlight works, switching itself on and off intelligently and progressively. The subtle engagement of this function is only realised when it's not there anymore. So I think the backlit keyboard is a big deal, especially on a mobile device that you are going to use in less that perfect environments, or places where you can't control the absent light level.

22. Geekbabe, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

If this system was going to be my only computer I'd get a 13 inch. Edited to add that this MBA is my 1st notebook with the backlight, I'll never own another computer without it.

23. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

Backlit keyboard is absolutely a big deal. I never thought it would be, but after a few weeks of use I can say that it is AWESOME.

24. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I like the backlit keyboard it looks good light up at night