Your Windows backup strategy?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by alleycat, Dec 31, 2009.

1. alleycat macrumors regular

I'm just curious as to what everyone's backup strategy for Windows is? I've been exploring the options of the Windows XP Backup utility, but I also like being able to have a entire disk image with Winclone. However there's no way to back up incrementally with Winclone. I'm sort of mum on both options, or would like to know if there's a better option?

So what have the other Boot Camp participants been doing for a Windows backup?

2. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

This is a common problem. I keep my bootcamp WinXp value add under on directory tree. Weekly I bump a copy off to an exernal drive. Then once every couple of months I WinClone a copy to the OSX drive and then save a drive image off to a LINUX file server (this take too much time, so it is done infrequently). Disk utility is a great tool and is there for the using.

3. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Twice a week I leave the laptop on hibernate and it backs up to the Windows Home Server overnight.

For mixed Windows/Mac environments I highly recommend the HP MediaSmart EX495 which also runs WHS and also supports OSX/Time Machine. Does a great job transcoding and streaming media too.

4. dimme macrumors 65816

I use both WinClone and True Image. Winclone is great and I have restored from it may times. True image is great when you if you need to re-size your drive. If your looking to back up incrementally then you want True Image.

5. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Does it have a feature where you can restore the entire OS in case of a drive failure? That's the one main feature I'm looking for in Windows (along with a like time machine program)

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I don't actually know, I haven't tried it yet. I am planning on it shortly because I need a backup plan for my wife machine. I don't care if I have to reinstall the OS, I need to back up vital documents, that's my highest priority. I can always reinstall the OS and Apps, but if we lose our docs, we are screwed. :D

Maybe this is a project for today. :D

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Yeah, I'm actually backwards from that. I have all my docs backed up on DropBox, external drives and such. Losing docs won't be an issue for me, but the most time wasted is reinstalling the OS and Apps, which is a pain